Thursday, June 9, 2011

Losing My Bearings in a Strange Land...

Okay, so Florida is not really "strange". :) But, it is "unfamiliar". Driving back and forth from the place I stay in Oviedo to the campus location in Orlando should not be too difficult, especially with printed maps and a Garmin GPS that doesn't like the way I drive. :)

However, sometimes, even when we think we know where we're heading, we can get turned around, confused, and lose our bearings.

This can happen to me when I'm tired, not focusing, when I get distracted. What happens when I get off the intended path? I tend to be okay at first, until I don't find my way back immediately. Then I get concerned, pre-occupied with getting back to where I was. There isn't much peace in moments like this.
 
It can take just one lapse of judgment to miss the correct turn. And that can send us on a frenzied journey to get back to the path toward our destination.
 
I'm talking about getting from my class back to where I was staying. It was the second night of the week and I should have had the journey down by then. But, where I should have turned right, I went straight. Part of the problem for that was that I wasn't in the correct lane to turn right. Another issue was that the surroundings "didn't look right to me". But, how could they really "look right" when I was so new to them and they to me? As I went straight and the road narrowed, I knew I had gone wrong. I turned into the shopping plaza. I got all turned around and couldn't figure out which was the right way. My map wasn't too helpful because I was fatigueed and it was for a particular journey. My GPS kept telling me to make U-Turns, even after I had just done a U-Turn, so that wasn't very helpful.

After "exploring" for about 20 minutes in traffic, I finally figured out how to get back on track toward my destination. I was able to calm back down, to ask for forgiveness for my frustration and a few slipped choice words.

This situation was just journeying from one physical location to another, and having to deal with traffic.

Are you familiar with those emergency broadcast system tests for televsion that are shown every now and then to prepare folks for when there is an emergency? "This is a test, this is just a test of the 'how will you handle getting off track'". Well, I didn't handle it so well. Oops.

What about in other areas of life? We know where we're heading (or we think we do), but then something happens. Maybe we drop the ball on a part of the journey (like my not applying at the appropriate time for my Certificate and having to wait a semester for it) or something happens to us that gets us off the path toward our destination?

How do we respond? How do you typically respond?

How we respond usually reveals our trust level, our faith level, our peace level. There may still be some questions, some uncertainty, some angst. But, if we can let it go fairly quickly, then that is better. We may not end up back in the exact place where we got off the path, but we can get back on the path. All is not lost simply because we get off track.  

There are many aspects to our journey as well. There are many journeys on our journey.

This seminary journey that I'm on.... I don't know where it leads. Sometimes I have a glimpse or an idea. Mostly, I'm just learning to live in the moment and make the most of where I am and what I'm doing. I hope to be faithful to do my part along the way, to stay on the path that I've been called to follow by Christ, and to not take too many of my own routes along the way.

The seminary journey is part of the overall journey. I hope to be living my life by giving it away. I hope that I'm learning from my Creator, my Teacher each day to live, love, and serve likewise.

Ultimately, I desire to be part of bringing wholeness into people's lives and that is accomplished through love. God is love.


May I be able to extend God's love to others in such a way that they recognize and receive this powerful gift that is offered to all and that I have recognized and received.


Blessings on your journey! Make the most of any "off-track" experiences!


~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment