Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer rhythm....

So far, I really haven't been able to find that smooth summer rhythm.  You know, the one where the kids are out of school and you adjust to life with them at home and all that summer brings.

Maybe it's because we've not had time to adjust.  It takes time to adjust.  For us, school got out on a Monday, report cards were given out on a Wednesday.  That Wednesday we flew to Chicago for a 5 day trip to visit with the daughter who lives up there.  We had a wonderful time in chilly, windy Chicago!  We went to museums, to Navy Pier, and even to Legoland (which is in the suburbs).  That was at the end of May. 

Legoland's version of Chicago

Then we took an overnighter trip the first of June to see some relatives on the GA/NC border.  Needing to be back for some camp training on that Thursday afternoon, we came back early, only stopping to watch some kayakers and rafters come down the Ocoee River.
Towns County, GA (Hiwassee) Beach area

Rafters on the Ocoee River, TN

Meanwhile, summer swim team has begun.  Evening swim practices started the last day of May.  The following week brought morning and evening practices.  We make all that we can. 

My spring semester ended before the school system's did, giving me a little more time to prepare for the beginning of my summer session.  However, with all the in-between things, I was happy to get 2 of the required books finished before the week long intensive course.  The first full week of June for me was that intensive class, in FL.  The journey down allowed for some great reflection time, but not reading time.  So, I spent morning and evening times when I wasn't in class trying to get the other 3 books read.  I got most of it done, but not without some sleep deprivation on the way.  At least where I stayed allowed for some quiet time and reflection (as I've already written about).

Then it was time to drive home.  I stopped on the way home to visit with some family I hadn't seen in a while and got to see some cool pecan orchards, corn crops, and recent cotton fields (you could see remnants of the cotton on the dirt).
Pecan Orchards, Claxton, GA
Upon getting home, it was back into swim practices, doctor visits, physical therapy appointments.  That is this week.  I'm still wondering when I'll hit the summer rhythm.  But, maybe this is the summer rhythm.

For some people, the summer rhythm may just simply be an absence of the school routine.  For others, it may include travels, time with family, sleeping later (what is that like?). 

Whatever rhythm the summer brings to us, I do know that it is a time to see things differently and to do things differently.  It is a time to take a break, to rest.  Hopefully there are some recreational activities that we can add into our schedules that we weren't able to do during other times of the year.  Maybe there are some folks we can visit or even have over for a cookout (depending on where we live and what the season is). 

If I'm dreaming of lazy summer days where I dangle my toes in the edge of the water and sip a cool drink all day.... well, that doesn't seem to be in my summer plans.  But, I can find a way to slow down, to get the rhythm of my soul to match up with the rhythm of a laid-back summer day.  It will take some intentionality. 

I'm actually going to get the opportunity this summer to have an entire week of getting my rhythm "in order".   I will be attending the 2 Year Bilingual Academy for Spiritual Formation later in July.  That will be a wonderful opportunity to get into the rhythms of silence, solitude, worship, community. 

But, meanwhile.... in the here and now.  What can I do to live in the "summer rhythm"?  Maybe I will pull out my blow up pool and put it up in the back yard.  Then, I can pull up a chair next to it and dangle my toes.... ah.... I can feel it now.  The cool water on my toes.  I can feel my heart beat slowing down already.  When I slow down, I'm in a better position to listen to my Creator.  What about you?  

What is your summer rhythm like?  How does it enhance your listening time to the Creator?  Or, does it distract you?

Blessings on finding that summer rhythm that brings rest, relaxation, and a renewed spirit, mind, soul, and body!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment