Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Sponge... a faithful steward

Which sponge is more useful?  The one that is plump and moist or the one that is thin and scratchy dry?


The answer to that question may depend on how that sponge is going to used.  For most cases, a sponge works best if it already has some water soaked up in it, if it is moist, yet not overflowing with liquid.

A sponge isn't really helpful if it is soaking wet.  It cannot pick up any more liquid (ie the spilled milk, juice, etc.)  However, if you are washing dishes with it, it's okay for it to be overflowing with liquid.  The squishier, the better.  A dry sponge could be used to scrub off a difficult stain, but it would be more abrasive. 

Truly, the perfect sponge is one that has been soaked and squeezed empty, ready to soak up whatever spills have happened.

Why the thoughts on sponges?  And, is this a blog on cleaning?  (hehe. NO!)  Well, on my drive back home from the 2 year Academy, due to traffic, I had extra time to listen to CDs.  I popped in a Keith Green CD and it was because of Keith Green that I started thinking about sponges.

If you're not familiar with Keith Green, he is said to be the "father of Christian rock music".  I first heard of Keith Green from my first husband and will be forever grateful to him for that connection.  Keith Green's music is powerful, as was the book written by his wife Melody Green, No Compromise.

The song that got me thinking of sponges was this one: "Asleep in the Light" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em5gL0Rw4Aw&feature=related (Keith Green performing live from Estes Park, 1978)

Do you see, do you see
All the people sinking down
Don't you care, don't you care
Are you gonna let them drown
How can you be so numb
Not to care if they come
You close your eyes
And pretend the job's done
"Oh bless me Lord, bless me Lord"
You know it's all I ever hear
No one aches, no one hurts
No one even sheds one tear

But He cries, He weeps, He bleeds
And He cares for your needs
And you just lay back
And keep soaking it in,
Oh, can't you see it's such a sin?

Cause He brings people to your door,
And you turn them away
As you smile and say,
"God bless you, be at peace"
And all heaven just weeps
Cause Jesus came to your door
You've left him out on the streets
Open up open up
And give yourself away
You see the need, you hear the cries
So how can you delay
God's calling and you're the one
But like Jonah you run
He's told you to speak
But you keep holding it in,
Oh can't you see it's such a sin?

The world is sleeping in the dark
That the church just can't fight
Cause it's asleep in the light
How can you be so dead
When you've been so well fed
Jesus rose from the grave
And you, you can't even get out of bed
Oh, Jesus rose from the dead
Come on, get out of your bed

How can you be so numb
Not to care if they come
You close your eyes
And pretend the job's done
You close your eyes
And pretend the job's done

Don't close your eyes
Don't pretend the job's done
Come away, come away, come away with Me my love,
Come away, from this mess, come away with Me, my love.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What made me think of the sponge were the words "keep soaking it in", "keep holding it in", "you've been so well fed"... The song struck a chord in me, reminding me that everything that I learn is to be given back.  In fact, everything I have is from God to begin with, I am simply a steward.  So, am I being a faithful steward of what I've been given--faith-wise, financially, educationally, giftedness, ETC.??  That is a question I must ask myself daily. 

It helps to know myself, my giftedness, etc.  What do I have to offer?  When I listen closely, I know those answers.  I have also taken spiritual gift inventories, DiSC inventory, Meyers-Briggs (a couple of times in my life), learning style inventories to know who I am and how I "tick" so that I can better know how I might give and work well with others in the Kingdom.

Soaking it all in for the sake of soaking it all in... and yet doing nothing with it is a sin.  Says Keith Green.  Says Jesus.  Jesus reminds us that the things we go through can be used to help others.  And, Jesus tells us to share what we have with others. 

So, will I be a sponge ready to serve?  I hope so.  I know there will be times when I'm being so filled up I'm going to need to be squeezed out in order to be ready to serve.  There will be other times when I'm dry and might can be used to get some really tough work done before I get filled up again.  At other times I might just be in the perfect "ready" position.  Regardless, I hope to be a faithful steward of all that God bestows upon me.

How about you?  How does Keith Green's song strike you?  How does the image of the sponge relate to you?

Blessings on your journey!  May you soak it in so that you may give it out!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment