Thursday, August 4, 2011

¿Dónde está Jesús? / Where is Jesus?

Have you seen Jesus today?  Or, where have you seen Jesus today?  That question can be a deep one, asking whether or not you've seen Christ lived out in the lives of those around you, in what way, etc.

But, for today, I'm not asking the deep spiritual question (though it's a great one and one to ponder and answer).  I'm asking it in a different way.

You see, during my week at the 2 year bilingual academy, Jesus would wander around the worship space daily.  He would interact and engage with the setting and the themes.  For example, one day Jesus was sitting on a miniature lecturn as if he were preparing to give a homily.  Another day he was sitting with prayer beads.  At another time he held healing balm.  Everytime I walked into the worship space I anticipated where I might encounter Jesus!?!? (feel free to take that on more than one level!)

I was intrigued by this roaming Jesus that interacted with us and captured my attention.  I learned that he is "The Jesus Doll" and is often used for ministry and teaching in many settings.  The Cokesbury bookstore on campus had one available.  The pamphlet that comes with it explains its ministry usages and possibilities.

From the website, http://www.institchescenter.com/jesusdoll.htm, they say this of The Jesus Doll: "The Jesus Doll™ is created to be a visual reminder of Jesus' presence with adults and children at all levels of faith. When persons are separated from their communities of faith due to illness, distance, or institutionalization The Jesus Doll™ serves as a reminder of God's love.
It is an interactive figure for children and adults alike, conveying love, compassion and security.  Incredibly huggable . . . it gives loving, meaningful hugs whenever they are needed."

I never did hug the Jesus doll.  But I did touch him.

And, I was afraid for him one day.  He held a candle in his lap one day.  I thought that it would be cool to light it, as the other candles on the altar were lit.  But, then I wondered about the heat from the candle on him and the flames near his beard.  Well, someone else thought the candle would look good lit as well and lit it!  I guess I shouldn't have freaked and asked them to blow it out, but all I could picture was Jesus going up in flames because of his beard catching on fire.

I'm not sure which was my favorite Jesus, if you can have a favorite aspect of Jesus' character.  However, on the last day, Jesus appeared with a towel and a basin.  That was pretty powerful for me.   

Here are some of the pictures I took of Jesus in the worship space.  For me, there was anticipation and joy in seeking out Jesus daily in that worship space.  To be able to physically see Jesus engaging and participating in worship with us added to the worship experience in a very positive way for me. 

Thank you to all who prepared the worship space: for bringing Jesus into that space, both physically by the presence of the Jesus doll, and in many other ways.  The homilies, the songs, the decorated altars, the sacred spaces, sharing communion, etc. 


       


Altar views:



        

Now that I'm back home, there is no physical Jesus showing up and showing me the way of how I can participate in the day, be it prayer, healing, service, whatever.  I have to rely on what I have learned, seen, and experienced to carry it onward.  Hopefully my eyes will be open to Jesus around me and hopefully I'll be Jesus for others.
 
 
So, as you look around today, where is Jesus?  ¿Dónde está Jesús?
 
 
Blessings on your journey,
~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment