Friday, July 29, 2011

Advice from a river... Go with the flow

I've heard this advice before, "Go with the flow."  In 2006, in Costa Rica, from my husband.  I had shared with him what I felt to be a calling from God "to go deeper" and he replied: "Go with the flow."  I've shared a little bit of what 'going with the flow' has meant for me since 2006. 

Let me share a little more.  This summer, in May, I went to Cape San Blas with some girls on a trip.  For me, it was a working trip as I finished papers for seminary and studied.  But, I did get some snorkeling, beach time, sunset cruise, and good eating and fellowship accomplished as well!  I even did a taekwondo workout on the beach!  I also got some shopping done.

One of the things I bought on that trip were two journals.  I'd like to share about one here.  It's called: Advice from a River: Guided Journal.



It caught my attention in the store by its cover and by the words inside:

"Advice from a River"
Go with the flow
Be thoughtful of those downstream
Slow down and meander
Be clear
Follow the path of least resistance
for rapid succes

Immerse yourself in nature,
trickling streams,
roaring waterfalls
sparkles of light dancing on water

Delight in life's adventures
around every bend
Let difficulties stream away

Live simply and gracefully in
Your own True Nature
moving, flowing,
allowing,
serene and on course

Rough waters become smooth
If you find yourself babbling just smile!
Gor around the obstacles
Stay current

The beauty is in the journey!
~Ilan Shamir

I go to water to for calming, for centering (as evidenced in several posts you may have seen on the blog).  This poem by Ilan Shamir resonates with me on several levels, though there are a few things that differ from my experiences.  Nature is definitely one of my most significant connection points with God, and water is that calming factor for me.  Rushing waters on the rocks, waterfalls, or the slow moving waters of a stream or babbling brook.  The waves of the ocean or the smooth glassy top of a lake. 

This week I'm in Fruitland Park, FL at the Life Enrichment Center.  There is a beautiful lake on the property.  I got to see it raging when I first arrived due to the storm and winds.  But I've witnessed its calm as well.




I've even gotten to see 3 alligators swimming off shore so far!!  But not really close enough to get a great picture.  Here are two different gators.

 
 


But that doesn't really have to do with a river, or going with the flow.... EXCEPT that I've chosen this journal to be my starting journal for the 2 year bilingual academy. ☺  I thought it would be appropriate since I've been living into "going with the flow" since 2006. 

As I've shared before, "going with the flow" has meant "retiring" from teaching college, starting into seminary, getting a Certificate in Christian Studies, going back into teaching and teaching some online and then re-retiring after two years, going to SEJ Lay Speaking Gathering in Montgomery, AL 2010, SoulFeast 2010, 5 Day Academy in TN in 2010, re-enrolling in seminary in the fall of 2010 and starting classes back up Spring semester 2011, applying for and starting the 2 year bilingual academy, ETC.  One of those "etc." is accepting a position as part-time Director of Missions at my church.  Another is being a MIR for the first time at Camp Lookout this summer. 

Here is where I seem to differ with Shamir's poem.  This river doesn't seem very gentle or slow flowing to me.  Path of least resistance?  There are risks at every bend of the river for me and it seems to be more windy than the Toccoa I recently went down tubing (see the post on tubing the Toccoa). It's more like the other one in Georgia, the Amicalola River, that we went on with some friends two weeks ago where there are lots of rocks to navigate and the adrenaline flows. ☺


I'm attempting to live into my true nature, my true self.  I believe as I continue to go deeper, I am becoming my true self, the self I was created to be.  That's why I've said "yes" to several things over the past couple of years.  That's why I've said "yes" one more time to a calling I've felt for a while now.  What I've said "yes" to isn't the end all of the journey, it's only the beginning.  Who knows where this journey will lead?  What I know is that in one sense, I have come home by coming to the bilingual academy.  I don't know where this journey will lead, or even what that fully means.  And, what is it that I've said "yes" to that I don't know where it will lead me?  Candicacy.  There, I've written it.  (It's already written in my "Go with the flow" journal). 

Two last things I know for sure: 

(1) the beauty IS in the journey!
(2) I will not be getting in any rubber tubes on the waters around here!

Where are you in your journey today?  How does the poem resonate within your heart, mind, and soul?

Whatever you're contemplating, however you feel God nudging you, if I could, I would encourage you to "go with the flow".

~Debra ☺




No comments:

Post a Comment