Saturday, July 9, 2011

Rolling down the river.... tubin'

We celebrated July 4th this past Monday by going tubing (tubin') down the Toccoa River.  It's the river that runs into (changes into) the Ocoee River, which is known for its rapids and kayakers and rafters.  It was the site for kayaking for the 1996 Olympics.  We were above that area.  Our "rapids" were nowhere near anything found on the Ocoee.  And, that's okay.  This trip was intended to be a laid back float.

On the way up to McCaysville, GA we did stopped at Ocoee Dam #2 so we could watch some rafters and kayakers and took some pictures.  I had the vantage point of the bridge.  The kayakers would hang out and wait so they could play in the rapids.  One kayaker didn't quite time his playing very well and didn't move quickly enough when a raft came down.  The raft bumped into him, turning him over and they floated on down.  I missed that "kodak moment." 




We went tubing with "TRA", though there are several other places from whom you can rent tubes.  Ours were $6 for the trip.  Though I took a water-proof camera with me, I haven't developed those pictures yet.  So, I don't have the adventure on the water to share at this time.  I can share a few pictures from the take-out spot and the rental place itself though.



You didn't have to float down the river in a tube, you could come down on the top of a kayak.

I haven't been tubing since I was a kid.  In those days, we used real tire tubes.  You know, the black kind with the valve stem sticking out.  They could get real hot on a hot, sunny day and those stems could poke the heck out of you.  But, it was fun.  I remember tubing in South Georgia with my aunt Cindy.  I don't know where else I tubed, but we did it quite a bit growing up.

I was looking forward to this tubing trip.  A time to get away, get on a river, and float.  Nothing like Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer, mind you, but still an adventure.  I needed it.  My heart, my mind, and my soul needed the peace that a flowing river could bring.  And, it was good.  The water was cold, yet still manageable.  Though the three of us floated down the river together, we still had our own space some of the time.  I was able to soak in the sounds of the trickling water, the birds, the silence.... there were other people on the river too, but they weren't too noisy.  I was able to soak in some sun and enjoy letting the river carry my tube.  From time to time, the river carried my tube into the trees and I needed to use a little arm power (which is miraculous that I can even do that these days!) to move back into the middle. 

I would like to say that the floating down the river totally cleared my mind, filled my heart, and released my soul.  But that wasn't the case.  It partially did so.  I think I need to go back again. :)  The silence and solitude on the river was helpful, but I needed more. 

Do you ever feel that way?  You are soaking it in, you are in the moment, you KNOW that God is with you and you are with God and it is GOOD.  Yet, within moments (or hours), wham bam... the next thing hits.   Those rough spots don't negate those flowing moments.  In fact, what we've gathered during those flowing, floating moments will often dictate how we handle the rougher moments.  Will they get to us or merely be bumps in the journey, so to speak? 

I've had a week of flowing, floating moments.  But then, the rapids have hit hard.  The two rivers this week have been mixed.  The rapids that have hit have been rapids that are typical of the Ocoee, not the Toccoa.  So, I haven't been ready for them nor have I handled them well.  If I were mentally on the Ocoee, then that would be different, I would have been looking out for them.  But, instead, I have been on the floating river. :)

What I know is that I need some more soaking time with my Creator.  Time to soak in His presence.  Time in prayer.  Time just being.  Time listening.  Time letting go.  Time repenting for my moments this week in which I didn't react well.  Time praising my Creator. 

Whether your life's journey is more like a hiking trail, the Toccoa River or the Ocoee right now..... how is it going?  Where do you see God in the journey?  What can you learn from the moment?  What are you going to do about it?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment