Saturday, July 2, 2011

Reflections from the newspaper... part II... Beetle Bailey

In Friday's paper (July 1, 2011), what caught my attention was one of the comic strips, Beetle Bailey.  Comic strips often catch my attention.  And, as I've mentioned, I do have a collection of them, ready to use as devotional and/or sermon material..... one day.

Sarge and his girlfriend are going out to dinner in an upscale restaurant.  The waiter is dressed in a tux with tails, carrying the drink tray with obvious aptitude, and has his head cocked up into the air with his nose protruding upwards.  Sarge's girlfriend notes: "This place might be too ritzy for us."  Sarge replies: "Let me look around."  The next scene shows Sarge and his girlfriend peeking through the round windows of the kitchen doors.  Sarge says: "It's more revealing to check the kitchen."  What you see inside the kitchen is a grubby cook, broken plates, food on the floor, a mouse, smoke coming off the pan. 


http://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/beetlebailey/s-907243

So, I don't know about you, but the very first thing that struck me was that this is so true.  Checking the INSIDE, in this case, the kitchen, is more revealing.  The kitchen represents the heart of the restaurant.  It pumps the lifeblood.  Without it, there would be no business. 

So it is with us, we need to check OUR "inside", our heart, to see what is really going on.  The outside may or may not tell the real story.  If we wear masks, the outside will be different.  Authenticity, integrity, honesty, transparency.  These words come to mind here.

What about with others?  We need to be careful to NOT judge by the outside, but seek to look into the inside.  Whatever the exterior is, we must have wisdom and discernment, with eyes of love, to see the inside, the heart.  So, when you are tempted to make an assessment about someone from their exterior appearance, remember to look into their "kitchen".  As Sarge says, "It's more revealing to check the kitchen."

Outside vs. inside.  How we live, how we look at and see others.  It's important to think about.

How do I portray myself?  Is my outside the same as my inside?  If not, how can I become more authentic?  What about you?  How do you portray yourself?  Is your outside the same as your inside? 

How do I see others?  Do I make my assessments based on the outside or do I take time to look into their "kitchen"?  What about you?

It takes time to walk to the kitchen.  It takes time and a willingness to not make a rush assessment.  It calls for intentional investment.... into our own lives and others.

I hope that you and I are willing to journey into the "kitchen".

Blessings,

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment