Sunday, July 24, 2011

Serving God is an adventure!

Today's sermon was "Basin and The Towel" by Rev. Leon Fraley, based on the Scripture verses John 13:1-5.  He also shared Philippians 2:5-8 during the sermon (I always refer to these verses as the "Jamaica verses" as we learned these for our Jamaica mission trip.)   Prior to the sermon, Rhonda Fraley sang "How Beautiful" by Twila Paris.  An appropriate song to precede a message on serving God by serving others. 

There was a basin, a towel, and a pitcher of water set up on a table that Leon used as a hands-on illustration at one point during the sermon.  I took a picture afterwards.  These symbols capture servant leadership, servanthood, serving.  They are powerful symbols for me and are a great symbol for ministry and mission.


There were three points to take with us from the sermon:
  1. Do we miss opportunities to serve due to it being an inconvenience?
  2. When we serve others we will get dirty and wet.
  3. Serving others takes time and attention.
Leon also shared the lyrics to Michael Card's "Basin and The Towel" as he [Leon] had recently been to the concert where Michael Card, Twila Paris, and Steve Green performed together at Abba's house.  (I had wanted to go to that one as those are some of my favorite "oldie" musicians, but it sold out!)  Leon also shared a powerful story from India in a hospital and how one person taking the time to help someone else can make a difference.

Are we willing to serve?  Are we willing to take steps to be involved?  To be inconvenienced?  To get dirty and wet?  To give up some of our time and pay attention to others?

Sometimes I am willing, sometimes I'm not so willing.  I hope and pray that daily I'll be listening and open to the opportunities that come my way.

It's easier when you are set apart.  When you go intentionally to a place, like on a mission trip (locally, nationally, or internationally), then you are there for a purpose.  You know you are there to be open to God, to listen to God, to serve God and serve others.

For me, I had the privilege of serving God and others last week at Camp Lookout in Rising Fawn, GA.  It was my first time back at a summer camp since 1985.   I got to go on a creek walk, learn some new crazy songs, eat s'mores, pet horses, shoot a couple of arrows, watch some cool crafts, get to know lots of campers and counselors, drive a bus, and pull some weeds.  Oh, and I shared God's word and hopefully God's love.  I was blessed to share in three communion services as well.  Most of my time was spent with the day campers and the younger taste of campers, but I got to spend some time with the other campers and the wranglers, as well as some counselors here and there.  It was a great blessing! 

Learning to love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength... and learning to love my neighbor as myself.  That was the theme of camp this year.  That was the new commandment given to us by Christ, therefore the focus of Christ's ministry and mission.

The counselors were inconvenienced this past week because my daughter and I slept in the prayer chapel room, their converted "chill room".  I'm grateful that they willingly sacrificed that space so I could have a place to stay.  I know they'll enjoy having their "chill room" back this week! 

Serving at camp was an exciting adventure!  It was focused, intentional mission time. 

Now that I'm no longer "on the mission field", I hope to strive to continue to be intentional in my serving.  I hope I'll be on the lookout for opportunities to serve, to get dirty and wet, to give away some of my time (which is not really "mine" to begin with, but God's).

How about you?  What adventures in serving God and others are you experiencing? 

Blessings on the journey!

~Debra

Some pics from my Camp Lookout experience:

trail for the creek walk, coming back up

the lake and some of the boats

serving communion Thursday evening, taken by Charlotte
my heart rock that I found at Camp Lookout!  To remind me to love God with my all--heart, mind, soul, and strength-- and to love my neighbor as myself.  I gave out heart rocks to the daycampers and Taste of Campers (the counselors helped me gather some of those--thanks!)

This year's theme!

No comments:

Post a Comment