Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sisterchicks...

I just finished my second "Sisterchick" novel today by Robin Jones Gunn.  In the first one I read, the main characters went to Mexico.  In this novel, Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La!, the characters go to France.
  

Though there were a couple of places that were missing their accent grave (`) [grandmère and , for example] and "bon jour" was separated instead of together, that didn't keep me from enjoying the novel.  It was fun to revisit Paris through the eyes of these two friends.  It was also good to view friendship and a relationship with others and God through their eyes as well.

To those who have warned me not to take notes while reading Sisterchick novels, I promise that I did not take physical notes, only mental ones.  I didn't even flag the pages with colored sticky notes or flags.  I will admit to going back through the book and finding quotes that caught my attention, however. ☺

In the back of the book and on the website (http://www.sisterchicks) there is a definition for sisterchick. 

A "sisterchick" is someone who is "a friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like a sister, and provides a reality check when you're being a brat."  Based on the novel, I'd say that a sisterchick provides a reality check whenever needed, not necessarily only when you're being a brat. 

Do you have people like that in your life?  Now, I realize that if you are male, you may be close to tuning out (if you haven't already).  But, guys have guy friends too.  It's different, I know.  But, still important.  We all need relationships along our journey, people who will walk beside us through thick and thin, through the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

So, these sisterchicks going to France.... what caught my attention in this novel? 

I've been to Paris.  It was a stopover on the way to Israel and back.  We spent some time at the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, we even stayed at a hotel that looked toward the park and the Eiffel Tower.  We did more in the short time we were there, but it has been 11 years this summer.  It was fun checking out the history, the tourist spots, the shops, the cafés, using my third language.   So, I related to this novel on the travel level.

Then, there was the friendship level.  Friends growing up together.  Whether from grade school on or later in life, I've been blessed by some excellent friendships that have helped me through life's passageways.  Even the challenges of friendships have been positive as they have been part of my growth as well.

In the book, the relationship between Amy (Amelie) and Lisa goes through different stages from their childhood into adulthood.   In Chapter One, Lisa says this of a friend: "I look back now and realize that the gift of a true friend is that she sees you not the way you see yourself or the way others see you.  A true friend sees who you are inside and who you can become." (21)

Amy started learning Scripture to apply to her weightloss efforts with the encouragement from Shirleene.  One verse that Amy shares with Lisa on the flight to Paris caused me to chuckle as Amy explained it was more of a mid-life verse applying to the lack of muscle tone, especially beneath the arm, where the flab tends to jiggle.  The verse?  Revelation 3:2.  What does it say?  "Wake up!  Strengthen what remains."  This is what Lisa says of Amy here: "I wondered what God thought of Amy at moments like this.  Somehow I had a feeling she made Him smile." (80)  Something about that section made me smile.  Picturing Lisa laughing at the verse and the situation.  Picturing Amy smiling.  Picturing God smiling.  ☺

Overcoming fears, experiencing life's adventures, growing.  These are the things that I read about in the novel.  Seeing these two friends give the space of grace into each other's lives for growth and reading about their adventures is like sitting down for coffee or tea with an old friend and listening to their story. 

There's a scene in the Notre Dame cathedral that Lisa shares, of a girl hiding from her father behind a pillar.  There is a spiritual analogy and an awakening for Lisa as she observes the scene.  All of us struggle with the image of ourselves and our relationship with self, God, and others.... to some extent, at some point in our lives.  Sometimes we find that we grow a little yet have a long way to grow.  The best news is that we were created for relationship, and that we are loved.  God loves us how we are, where we are, as we are.  Whew! 

I'm grateful for that love from God that has not given up on me and continues to draw me into relationship.  I'm grateful for the love and friendship of others throughout these 40 something years.  To all the teachers, camp counselors and directors, bus drivers, swim coaches, band directors, track coaches, sunday school teachers, pastors, youth directors, friends, relatives, bosses, ETC.--- Thanks!  Thanks for being salt and light in my life as I have traveled on this journey.

Now, where is my passport?  I'm thinking it's time to go back to Paris..... ☺

May your journey include friends and adventures!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment