Saturday, July 2, 2011

Reflection from the newspaper... part I--Jesus, the kudzu vine

If you've been reading my blog, you've noticed that I write quite a bit about what books I'm reading and/or what songs I've been listening to.  I've even included children's books.  I don't know if I've shared from this next genre yet or not, but another area from which I gain much fodder for reflection is the newspaper.  It might be an article, or a commentary column, or even the comics.  Yes, the comics.  In fact, I have quite a few comics clipped and filed away with thoughts on devotional and/or sermon material, depending on what works out down the road.

Anyway, there are two things from this week that stood out to me.  I will talk about one here, and the other one in a separate blog (as I tend to be wordy).

The first one is a picture. It was in Thursday's paper (June 30, 2011).  An Associated Press pricture of a patch of kudzu vine that had grown up on a utility pole in Kinston, NC.  The people there in the area were saying they could see Christ's likeness on the cross in the kudzu.
 

Here's an article on it as well: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43580914/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/divine-or-just-vine-kudzu-believed-resemble-jesus/

In my newspaper, it was a small picture with the caption "Jesus vine?" on page A4, sandwiched between two articles at the top of the page.  It caught my attention.

As I looked at it, I had several thoughts go through my head..... I chuckled.  After all, it was kudzu.  We had a family farm that had certain areas overrun with kudzu.  Kudzu is difficult to clean out and keep out.  We used mechanics and cows to keep the kudzu to a manageable level.  Knowing that kudzu is a vine that just grows voraciously and wherever at will brings humor in seeing it in the likeness as Jesus.  And, then, it brings a secondary thought.  Jesus is akin to kudzu..... Jesus can and will grow the kingdom of God wherever He pleases.  I'm not going to get too deep into an analogy here, but what all of this does make me think of is this:  we CAN see Jesus anywhere and everywhere we look, IF we are looking.  Did you notice that homeless person sitting on the street corner just the other day?  What about those internally displaced persons in Sudan?  Did you see into the eyes of the many children around the world that are hungry and thirsty?  Have you heard the lonely cry of the elderly or your neighbor?  In these situations and many more, we can see and hear Jesus.  The question is, what are we going to do about it?  Now, seeing Jesus in a kudzu vine, what does that do for us?  For me, it's mainly a reminder that I can see Jesus if my eyes are open.  Then, the question calls out:  "What am I going to do about it?"  Seeing Jesus is just the beginning.  Hopefully, from there, a relationship grows and I become the extended hands and feet of Jesus.  Now, that's a neat thought!  Cool, I can become part of the Jesus kudzu vine!

Where do you see Jesus along your journey? 

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment