Friday, August 26, 2011

The Help...The Living Proof

Last week I went to see the movie, The Help.  I had read the book by Kathryn Stockett when it came out, as it was one of our Book Club books.  The book itself was a fantastic read and I highly recommend it.  I wasn't sure about seeing the movie, though I wanted to see how and what they did to the book in movie form. The Help (official movie link)

I'm glad I went.  It was as powerful as the book.  I laughed, I cried.  I was touched.  There were some powerful scenes in the movie. 

Just as the book had made me think back to my days of growing up in a small town, so did the movie.  I thought about the special people that I knew in both North and South Georgia that were part of the family.

There was Henry.  Henry was big and tall and strong.  He had a deep, rough voice.  And he liked to tease us kids.  He was a gentle giant.  He kept the lawn and grounds at my grandparents' home looking good. 

There was Lillie Mae.  Lillie Mae helped in the kitchen.  She was a great cook!  My grandmother cooked too.  Lillie Mae was small in stature and had a sweet spirit. 

In South Georgia, my great-grandparents had a lady named Bertie Rae who helped them out around the house.  She was a wiry, witty, spunky lady.  There were others in South Georgia who helped on the farms and lived in the shanties, but my memory isn't as good as it once was and I don't remember names. 

What I do remember is that in both North and South Georgia, these people were more than "help"; they were part of the family.  At least, that's what I grew up understanding. 

I never knew or understood the rough side of what was going on in the world around me as I was growing up.  I was born in 1964.  I grew up learning to accept folks of all races, color, and differences.   So, when I started learning about the history early on and how there were different water fountains at one time for different people, I didn't understand.  I couldn't see what the difference was. 

It is difficult for me to read and/or watch accounts such as are depicted in The Help.  The injustice, the cruelty, the inhumanity, doing things socially rather than what is right.  Yet, I've been guilty of doing the wrong thing more than once in my life time.  And, I'll probably make that mistake at least once or twice more in this lifetime.  I'm grateful for the opportunity for repentance and to receive grace and forgiveness.

There is redemption in The Help through the character of the writer, Skeeter.  She is bold and courageous, if not slightly naïve.  She empowers those around her by giving them a voice, by standing up with them and for them.  Through this journey of helping the others find their voice, she finds her own.

The theme song sung by Mary Blige, "The Living Proof", is a powerful song.  I had to sit through all the scrolling credits just to see what the song was. 



Here are the lyrics to the song:

It's gonna be a long, long journey
It's gonna be an uphill climb
It's gonna be a tough fight
It's gonna be some lonely nights
But I'm ready to carry on.

I'm so glad the worst is over ('cause it almost took me down)
I can start living now
I feel like I can do anything, yeah
And finally I'm not afraid to breathe.

Anything you say to me,
And everything you do,
You can't deny the truth,
'Cause I'm the living proof!
So many don't survive,
They just don't make it through
But look at me
I'm the living proof! Oh, yes I am.

Thinking 'bout life's been painful. Yes it was.
Took a lot to learn how to smile,
So now I am gonna talk to my people about the storm -- about the storm.
Oh, so glad the worst is over ('cause it almost took me down)
I can start flying now
My best days are right in front of me
And I'm almost there
'Cause now I'm free!

Anything you say to me
And everything you do
You can't deny the truth
'Cause I'm the living proof.
So many don't survive.
They just don't make it through.
But look at me
I'm the living proof!

I know where I'm going
'Cause I know where I've been
I'm gonna feel strong, that's showin'
I'm gonna be strong, keep growin'
That's the way that I will.

Anything you say to me
And everything you do
You can't deny the truth
'Cause I'm the living proof.
So many don't survive,
They just don't make it through
But look at me - yeah yeah
I'm the living proof!

Nothing about my life has been easy, no.
But nothin's gonna keep me down, no - down.
'Cause I know a lot more today
Than I knew yesterday, now
So, I'm ready to carry on,
Oh, Lordy. Mmmmmm. Mmmmmmm


Here is a link to listen to the song and watch a video: http://concreteloop.com/2011/08/music-video-mary-j-blige-the-living-proof

The book and the movie have given me much to think about.  They have taken me back down memory lane.  They have ignited righteous anger within me.  They have pierced my heart with sadness.  They have given me things about which to smile and laugh.  They have helped me see how far we've come in society.  Or have we?  I do believe we've made progress.   Yet, I also see that we have a ways to go.  We are called to love one another. 

In this multicultural, multiracial world, it is imperative that we learn that lesson.  We need to learn how to sit down and talk with one another, share meals with one another, laugh with one another, cry with one another.

In the movie, there were several scenes that stand out to me.  The two church scenes were powerful.  The toilets and the pie were pretty funny.  But, what struck me was when the table was set with all the delicious home-cooked food and Minnie was invited to the table to feast at the banquet.  She hadn't been excluded prior in that home.  But this time, she was the guest of honor.  That was an incredible example of hospitality to me. 

The Help is also about some incredible friendships!  As I watched the movie, I couldn't help but think about some of the friends in my life.   

There is more I could probably write, but I'll stop for now.

May I have the boldness and the courage to stand up for what is right, to make a difference, to love all people in my life....  

Journeying onward,
~Debra 

1 comment:

  1. This beautifully written book will bring new life to your daily devotions. I'm giving it to all my friends. The book (Jesus Calling)itself is asthetically pleasing with color pages, one for each day of the year. I have been encouraged by this book and hope that many others will enjoy it too

    ReplyDelete