Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Friday morning walk along the Riverwalk.....

Point A
Yesterday morning I decided to take a walk along the Riverwalk between my physical therapy appointment and another appointment.  It was a gorgeous morning.  The skies were clear blue and there was a nice breeze.  I stopped at a section that I have probably only walked once before, the marsh section. 

It was good to get outside and enjoy the beautiful day!  And, of course, it was good to get in some walking!  A different type of exercise than the twice a week taekwondo.  There were some runners, walkers, and even bicyclers out yesterday morning as well. 

As I enjoyed the crisp, cool morning and my surroundings, I took pictures of the marsh, the railroad tracks, the bridge, spiderwebs, a bird-- things that captured my attention along the way.  It was a good time to breathe in lots of good air and to have some good silence and solitude time!

This morning, I picked up the Jesus Calling devotional that I've been reading from since July.  I had missed yesterday's reading because my physical therapy appointment was at 8am and I hit the road early.  I chuckled to myself as I read the first line, "Walk with me along paths of trust."  As I continued to read, I saw several connection points between my walk yesterday and the devotion.  Here is yesterday's devotion:


"Walk with me along paths of trust.  The most direct route between point A and point B on your life-journey is the path of unwavering trust in Me.  When your faith falters, you choose a path that meanders and takes you well out of your way.  You will get to point B eventually, but you will have lost precious time and energy.  As soon as you realize you have wandered from your trust-path, look to Me and whisper, "I trust You, Jesus."  This affirmation will help you get back on track.
     The farther you roam along the paths of unbelief, the harder it is to remember that I am with you.  Anxious thoughts branch off in all directions, taking you farther and farther from awareness of My Presence.  You need to voice your trust in Me frequently.  This simple act of faith will keep you walking along straight paths with Me.  Trust in Me with all your heart, and I will make your paths straight."

Isaiah 26:4; Psalm 9:10; Psalm 25: 4-5; Proverbs 3:5-6

Sarah Young, Jesus Calling, September 9, page 264

There were a couple of signs along the riverwalk that warned folks to stay on the path, to not get off the trail.  In hindsight, I wish I had those pictures. ☺ 

The devotion warns us that when we get off the path, there are consequences.  I wonder how many can relate to this statement from the devotion: "You will get to point B eventually, but you will have lost precious time and energy."  How many times have I gotten off the path?  Knowingly or unknowingly?  Whether by purpose, stubborness, ignorance, or other circumstances in our lives beyond our control, it does tend to lengthen the journey to point B, whatever that point is. 

As I walked along the riverwalk yesterday, there were several railroad track crossings.  Some looked intriguing.  Others looked like they didn't lead anywhere.  I remembered the sign I had seen and stayed on the path.


The walk was fairly uneventful, primarily allowing me some time for exercise, silence, and solitude.  It was definitely a good time of connection with the Creator as I looked at intricately woven spider webs, clear blue skies, marshes, and a tiny bird hopping around.  It was a good time to clear out the cobwebs of the soul and become refreshed.

Here are some more pictures from my walk:






Point B
Enjoy a good walk somewhere out in your community! It's good exercise. ☺
As you walk the journey of faith, may you trust the One who guides you.
Blessings on your journey,
~Debra ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment