Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Unraveling...

Have you ever had a thread on an article of clothing start to unravel?  The temptation is to pull it, thinking that if you break it off it will stop unraveling.  However, that doesn't really stop it, now does it? 

My bookmark in my Jesus Calling devotional is unraveling.  The thread is so thin that I really cannot tie a knot in it.  I guess I need to find a sharp pair of scissors and cut it off above the unraveling section.


What about life?  Does it ever seem to unravel?  It does for me.  Just this morning I had a moment.  One of those moments that was about to send me into a tail-spin.  You know... when you think you've got everything in order (all your ducks in a row, so to speak), but something plants a doubt in your mind and you start to wonder. 

Well, for me, it was about whether or not I was reading the correct set of books for the upcoming October session for the 2 Year Academy.  I thought I had all the right books (though I had forgotten if "white" or "purple" was required).  [It is purple!] Yet, on the faculty member's bio, there were two other books listed that weren't under the required readings.  Instead of going into major panic mode, I first sent an e-mail out to my covenant group asking for verification.  Whew!  Those two books aren't required, I'm heading in the right direction.

Now, what if they were required?  Would that have thrown me into a tail-spin?  Or would I have been able to "Be still, and know..."?  As the owl from the tootsie roll pop commercials might say, "one will never know."   ☺ (I think he actually said, "the world will never know.") 

Seriously, I think I would have buckled down, gotten the books and started reading.  I'm a bibliophile.  Being told I have more books to read isn't a bad thing, except for when time isn't as available as one would like.  And, that's where I'd have to make some adjustments.  Something else would have to give.  What would it be? 

Just the fact that this caused my heart to beat a little faster tells me something.  It tells me a few things.  I need to read more efficiently. ☺  I've got a few books left to go for October.   It also tells me that my river of peace isn't flowing as deeply as I would like it to be these days. 

There are a few things calling for my attention these days: Greek, mentored ministry, missions, mothering, wife, doctor appointments, exercise, etc.  I'm doing a decent job of balancing.  I've even been getting some good sleep in the past couple of nights!! 

But, I desire the deep flow of the river so that no matter what, the peace is flowing.  And, that requires spending some good 'ole silence and solitude time.  Oops.  Aha!  Guess what is missing.  Well, it's not missing.  It just isn't as lengthy as I want/need it to be.  Instead of drinking deeply from the well of silence and solitude, I've been grabbing fountain sips.  They help me keep going, but they don't quench the deep thirst.

A couple of thoughts from Sarah Young's Jesus Calling before I close today:

"Seek to please Me above all else.  Let that be your focal point as you go through this day.  Such a mind-set will protect you from scattering your energy to the winds." (September 18, p. 273)

"Try to see things more and more from My perspective.  Let the Light of My Presence so fully fill your mind that you view the world through Me." (September 20, p. 275)

As I seek to please God above all else and see things from God's perspective, I imagine the feeling of "unraveling" will dissolve back into peace.  Imagine that! 

Thanks for allowing me to share how my life can sometimes quickly start to unravel (when I get my focus and perspective "out of whack"). 

I hope and pray that we take time to be still and seek God's presence and perspective along the journey today!  I know that I'm about to do just that right now.

Blesssings on your journey! 

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment