Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Devotion and reflection from Jesus Calling--December 27

This devotional continues to contain quite a bit that speaks to me, almost daily.  As I picked up the devotional, I had a few days to catch up on to get today.  But, when I starting reading today, it was as if I needed to put on the brakes and begin to read in slow mode, in order to take it all in.

Today's devotion starts off with this: "I am preparing you for what is on the road ahead, just around the bend.  Take time to be still in My Presence so that I can strengthen you."

I've been reading several books in preparation for next week's Academy, so one thought goes toward the Academy.  I'm being prepared for the Academy time.  That is a good thing because the Academy has a way of stretching and challenging me.  Any and all preparation is good!

Then, there are some things going on in my personal life, family life, for which God might be preparing me.  I know it is getting closer to the time where I need to step up and step in and be the adult, not the eldest daughter.  There are situations that burden the family and somehow, I need to be ready to help out.

So, I need to take time and be still.  This lesson just won't go away from my life.  Not that I don't mind.  It's an important lesson for me.  For way too many years I was running around, busy.  Even in my serving God and learning of God I would be busy.  Being still continues to be an ongoing learning opportunity for me.

Later in the devotion, I read these words: "If you live in this way, you will do less but accomplish far more.  Your unhurried pace of living will stand out in this rush-crazed age."  I have a way to go, though I live in a less hurried pace than I used to, I can still live in a fairly stressed pace from time to time.  This resonates with me.  Being still, accomplishing rather than doing, and living an unhurried pace.

The last line of the devotion reads: "Walk in the Light with Me, and you will reflect Me to the watching world."

I desire to reflect the God of Creation, the Light to those around me.  I must continue to take time to be still in God's presence in order to do so.

What about you?  Do you need to take more time to be still?  Is there something for which you sense this stillness time is preparing you, even if you cannot name it?

May you make time to be still along your journey.  May you be strengthened as you are still in the Creator's presence.

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment