Monday, December 19, 2011

Holy Spontaneity, Batman!

Well, no, to my knowledge, Robin never said this.  But, I couldn't help but think of this when I read the title of this blog the other day.  The blog was simply: "Holy Spontaneity". http://onlyasojourner.blogspot.com/2011/12/holy-spontaneity.html?spref=fb. It's a blog by Jerry Webber.  I met Jerry Webber through the Academy last session and learned much through his teaching and poetry.  I continue to learn through his writings on his blog.  He works at The Center for Christian Spirituality, a ministry of Chapelwood United Methodist Church in Houston, Texas.  (www.centerforchristianspirituality.org)

Just as I dreamed once of being a camp director like Marty Griffin, upon meeting Jerry Webber and learning what he does, I thought to myself that it would be a very cool thing to open up a Center for Christian Spirituality in our area.  I still have some learning and growing to do... I'm not quite there yet.... but the idea appeals strongly to me...  offer teaching and retreats-- it aligns with the areas of leadership, spiritual formation, and discipleship in my life and I believe ties in well with the path of ordained elder.  That's just a tiny thought and seed at this point.  However, I even came up with a name for it already. ☺

Back to the point of this blog... holy spontaneity... Well, I was being random just now... going off on a path... and it was spontaneous.... it wasn't my planned writing.

As I read the blog, I was struck by the ways to incorporated some "holy spontaneity" into my life as a spiritual practice.

Then, yesterday, as I was driving to Camp Lookout to pick up my daughter from Christmas Camp, I found myself thinking about the blog.  I missed the turn that I intended to take.  The one that would take me directly to the highway to quickly get to Broad Street.  I decided it was okay and that I would live into the path I was on.  I drove into downtown, stopping to get gas near the old Greenlife grocery.  Then, I went over Veteran's bridge and by Miller Plaza.  The homeless people were helping a group of people set up tables at the park for the Sunday lunch.  I forget what group serves there on Sundays.  The park was fairly crowded.  It was a gorgeous, sunny day.  I turned onto Market St. and continued on.  I made my way to Broad Street beyond the Choo Choo.  From there the journey was the typical pathway up the mountain.  After I picked up my daughter, we started heading down the mountain and I asked her if she wanted to go a different route.  She said yes, so we turned around and went back to the main highway that crossed Lookout Mountain and came into Lookout Mountain proper.  So, a little more holy spontaneity on the ride home.  That allowed us some beautiful views of the city as we drove down that side of the mountain into St. Elmo.

Allowing the road to take me wherever, enjoying the journey as it presented itself.... that was refreshing!  It was a breath of fresh air injected into my normal routine of driving from point A to point B.

I think I will continue to explore this spiritual practice of holy spontaneity.  Not only in my driving, but in other areas as well.

Oh, and in case you wondered (as did I) if Robin ever said, "Holy Spontaneity, Batman!" I found a link that listed quite a few of Robin's sayings.  Here they are: http://www.sodahead.com/entertainment/holy-_____-batman/question-125354/
 
"Holy haberdashery, Batman!"
"Holy atomic pile, Batman!"
"Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods!"
"Holy oleo!"
"Holy nightmare!"
"Holy costumed party!"
"Holy horseshoe!"
"Holy polaris!"
"Holy sardine!"
"Holy jumble!"
"Holy marathon!"
"Holy Halloween!"
"Holy heart failure, Batman!"
"Holy Long John Silver!"

If you'd like to hear Robin in his holy phrases, here is a link of several clips linked together: http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/12/28/holy-batman/

May you incorporate some holy spontaneity into your journey!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment