Friday, December 30, 2011

Jesus Calling-- December 30th

Well, I got a few days behind in my devotional reading again. I'm a little out of my normal routine and rhythm with it being the holidays.  When I picked up the devotional Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, my ribbon was still on December 28th.  I read the devotion for December 29th which had several things that stood out to me.  Then, I read the devotion for today, December 30, and the entire devotion hit me square on.  So, I'll share today's devotion with some thoughts and I'll go back and share some from yesterday, the 29th.

Let's start with today's devotion:

"I am leading you along a way that is uniquely right for you.  The closer to Me you grow, the more fully you become your true self--the one I designed you to be.  Because you are one of a kind, the path you are traveling with Me diverges increasingly from that of other people.  However, in My mysterious wisdom and ways, I enable you to follow this solitary path while staying in close contact with others.  In fact, the more completely you devote yourself to Me, the mroe freely you can love people.
     Marvel at the beauty of a life intertwined with My presence.  Rejoice as we journey together in intimate communion.  Enjoy the adventure of finding yourself through losing yourself in Me." (p. 381)

The Scripture verses that accompany today's devotion are: 2 Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 2:10; 1 John 4:7-8; John 15:4

As I mentioned, this entire devotion stood out to me.  It hits me where I am on the journey, attempting to grow closer in my relationship with my Creator.  Through seminary, through the Academy, through my ministry with missions, through the candidacy process, through being Mom and wife and friend... and any other role I might live out...I believe that I am more fully becoming my true self--the one I was designed to be.  It is a blessing that God allows each of us to travel the unique path yet remain connected with others on their unique path.  I think sometimes people disconnect unnecessarily from others as they are on their unique path.  I hope and pray that I will remain open, honest, vulnerable--whatever it takes to stay connected.  The devotion talks about journeying together and about it being an adventure as we lose ourselves through finding God.  Powerful devotion.

Yesterday's devotion, December 29, started off with these words: "Trust Me with every fiber of your being!  What I can accomplish in and through you is proportional to how much you depend on me." It ended with these words: "Consistently trusting in Me is vital to flourishing in My Presence." (page 380)

It's  not that the words in between didn't capture my attention, but the TRUST was the main thrust of the devotion.  I can forget to trust God.  I can get caught up in the moment of what is going on and forget to pray, forget to rely on God, forget that God cares equally about the little day to day issues as much as the big situations.  This was a good reminder for me to continually trust.

What about you?  Do you trust the One who created you?  With every fiber of your being?  What about accepting the fact that you are being led "along a way that is uniquely right for you"? 

How do these devotions meet you where you are on the journey?

Blessings as you travel the path.

~Debra

2 comments:

  1. Coming from a Baptist background the word devotion means quiet time or Bible study. I am learning that devotion needs to be something more active and engaging. Our devotion should be something we do such as worship, fellowship, discipleship and friendship. Devotion is a very important action, a part of our faith story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... good thoughts for reflection Tony. Wesley's idea was that we would live a devotional life, not that we would simply have devotions. Though I try to live a devotional life (and I believe that would incorporate quiet and active times), I sometimes get caught up in simply doing the devotion. I'm learning that it's really all about "being", and not "doing". The doing will flow from the "being". My devotion time, therefore, might be anywhere, anytime, doing almost anything.... as it flows from who I am. Having said that, some good silence and solitude time, along with some reading and study is a healthy part of the devotional life.

    ReplyDelete