Sunday, May 12, 2013

Growing in silence... Sharing the sacred space

The other day a quote came across Facebook from Contemplative Life on silence.  It caught my attention.

"Perhaps the most important thing we bring to another person is the silence in us, not the sort of silence that is filled with unspoken criticism or hard withdrawal. The sort of silence that is a place of refuge, of rest, of acceptance of someone as they are. We are all hungry for this other silence. It is hard to find. In its presence we can remember something beyond the moment, a strength on which to build a life. Silence is a place of great power and healing."                        ~ Rachel Naomi Remen
 

Through the Academy, I grew in my experience of silence and even enjoyed walking in silence with friends.  At the last session we experienced a time of "active silence" where we gathered together in silence and did things that were meaningful to us.  We had been given instructions to return to our rooms and bring back pillows, blankets, and something for us to do... whether we wanted to read, write, knit, sew, etc.  When it was time for us to return to the conference room, they had transformed it.  There were places on the floor for sitting.  There were some chairs upside down providing back rests.  You could sit at a table, on the floor, make a pallet on the floor.  Whatever you wanted.  As we began to settle in and do our own things in silence, there was a remarkable sense of peace and community. 

I sat on the floor to write in my journal.  A few minutes later, you smelled the wonderful smell of popcorn and a few of the leaders were bringing around popcorn, cheese, grapes, etc.  Hospitality was thrown into this sacred space.  It was powerful to watch and listen as others were doing their thing--- drawing, lighting a candle for quiet time, reading, looking at pictures of beautiful birds on a computer, doing art work, taking a nap, etc.  As I observed and wrote in my journal, I found myself praying for folks and appreciating the presence of Jesus in the space.  

This was a beautiful experience of active silence for me, for us as community.  The speaker who introduced it to us, Kathryn Damiano, mentioned that gardening together and doing other activities together in silence are ways to live out this active silence.  I thought of mission trips and how there are often many times that we are working together in silence.  Last year cutting rebar ties and tying rebar and shoveling sand and dirt were some of my "jobs".  There would be some conversation, but there would also be silence time.  And, there was peace and beauty in that silence.  Christ was presence among us. 

Through the centering prayer group, I have experienced a beautiful time of silence with folks that I'm slowing getting to know.  They have been so gracious to accept me, a stranger, into their midst.  Though I don't get to go every week, it is a true blessing to go when I can.  Not only for the silence portion, but for the reading and sharing time as well. 

During the silence time with my spiritual director, my spirit calms.  Sometimes there are birds chirping outside the windows.  Sometimes I gaze at the pictures of Jesus and the candles.  Often, I simply sit in silence with my eyes closed, breathing deeply.  There are times when I know I could sit my entire time with my director in silence and then go and I will have met with Christ as much, if not more so, than when we break the silence and discuss things. 

I have learned from these experiences (and others) that there is peace, power, healing, and strength in silence. This space is a place of refuge, rest, and acceptance.  What a privilege to be able to share that sacred space with another.

Once again, I didn't know the person that was quoted above, so I looked her up.  She has a website and her biography on the website is found here.  She has developed curriculum that is used in medical schools, The Healer's Art

Here is a YouTube link to Rachel Naomi Remen discussing "Generous Listening".

I don't know enough about her or her practices to agree or disagree.  What I do know is that I can learn from her..... I can learn from anyone that shares Truth, because all Truth is God's Truth.  What I hear from her about silence resonates with what I have experienced and with what I know from Scripture about Jesus getting away for his times of silence and solitude in order to be strengthened for continued teaching and ministry.

Attributed to St. John of the Cross is this statement:  "Silence is God's first language."  It's a wonderful language to learn.

Wherever you are in your journey, wherever you are in experiencing silence on your journey, may you continue to grow in it.

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment