Saturday, May 4, 2013

Rainy days and reading....



There is still much reading to be done before I can consider this semester finished.  I have 58 pages left (2 chapters) in The Theology of John Wesley: Holy Love and the Shape of Grace and I have 9 chapters left in Conversion in the Wesleyan Tradition.  In the second book, I really have less required reading to do, but I am attempting to earn the extra credit.

It's a great day for reading in my area because it is raining.  So, I take breaks from my reading to do some laundry, dishes, etc.-- those Saturday chores.  Then, I get back to reading.  The constant pitter patter on the roof top is dangerous in that it could lull me to sleep at some point.  But, a nap in the midst of reading might be a good break for my brain too. 

What I haven't taken time for yet this month of May (though it is only the 4th) is writing.   So, I thought I'd at least use one of my breaks to write a little bit and get it out of my system. 

I picked up Jesus Calling to see what today's message said.  And because of the flood watch through Monday in our area, these words caught my attention: "As you give yourself to Me, My Spirit swells within you till you are flooded with divine Presence."  (May 4, p. 131)  Just as the creeks and rivers will swell with flowing water because of all this rain, the Spirit will swell within us as we give ourselves to God and we will be flooded with divine Presence.  Giving ourselves... surrender... that takes intentionality.  That takes desire.  Surrender comes at a price.  Yet, there is a reward.  To be flooded with divine Presence, to have the Spirit swell within... that is a blessing. 

As the waters are rising in the creeks and rivers, I'm hoping to take some time today to surrender myself to God so that God's Spirit will swell within me until I am flooded with divine Presence.

Blessings on your journey as you encounter the divine Presence of God,

Debra

1 comment: