Friday, May 17, 2013

Resting in the palm of God's Hand

Tree at Camp Dixie, dd 5/16/13
Yesterday was the retreat at Camp Dixie that I had been planning for the Thursday Bible Study I facilitate.  I would not have been able to pull it off without the help of other hands and feet. ☺  It was a blessed time of being apart at a beautiful location.  Though the morning started off a little cloudy, the sun came out and a breeze moved through.

The theme:  "Time Apart:  Sitting at the Feet of Jesus".  We looked at Jesus taking time apart for prayer and spiritual renewal and his rhythm of "being" and "doing" and then looked at Martha and Mary and how we could learn from their examples of "being" and "doing".

During the 2nd reflection time, I noticed the above tree from the backside and ventured over to it.  After looking it over for a moment, I decided it was climbable.  I was feeling a little anxious, though I couldn't tell you why and the closer I am to God's creation, the calmer I usually am.  So, I climbed up into the branches and leaned into the branch on the right.  As I gazed upon the waters, I became calmer.  My spirit began to rest once again.

I came down and went inside for my camera.  Came back out, climbed back up and took some pictures. ☺  More calmness.  Breathe in, breathe out.  It was now time for me to ring the chimes to bring everyone back from reflection time.

Though I thought about the tree looking like the palm of a hand and even labeled it thus in my photo album, it wasn't until an Academy friend pointed out that it could be the palm of "His" hand, that a light bulb went off in my head (I can be slow sometimes.) 

When I climbed up into the palm of my Creator's hand, I was able to rest and enjoy the creation around me.  Whatever was disturbing my spirit melted away into calmness.  What a gift.  Cool.  Neat. 

"God's got this." Whatever it is/was that was disturbing me?!?  God has it. 

At one of the prayer stations was a set of hands with a tiny bird inside.  Another example of resting in the palm of God's hands. 

 
 
I think of a song that Polly Cameron sang at Camp Skyline during camp days.... the line that sticks out?  "He will hold you in the palm of His hand."  The song is "On Eagle's Wings" and it was one of my many favorites that Polly sang.
 
The lyrics to the song:
 
You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord
Who abide in His shadow for life
Say to the Lord
"My refuge, my rock in whom I trust!"

And He will raise you up on eagles' wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of His hand.

The snare of the fowler will never capture you
And famine will bring you no fear
Under His wings your refuge
His faithfulness your shield.

And He will raise you up on eagles' wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of His hand.

You need not fear the terror of the night
Nor the arrow that flies by day
Though thousands fall about you
Near you it shall not come.

And He will raise you up on eagles' wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of His hand.

For to His angels He's given a command
To guard you in all of your ways
Upon their hands they will bear you up
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.

And He will raise you up on eagles' wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of His hand...
 
 
This song was written by Michael Joncas in 1979.  It is published in 21 hymns.  For a little bit of information about the song and the author, check out this link from Hymnary.
 
I rested yesterday in the palm of God's hand.  Resting gives us strength.  Taking time to be apart gives us strength as we allow the time and space to listen to God speak into our lives. 
 
May each of us take some time to rest, to gain strength from the Creator and to allow ourselves the time and space to listen.
 
Blessings on your journey,
 
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment