Wednesday, December 11, 2013

In the chair...

Yesterday I was "in the chair."

That is different from being "on the couch."

Yet, not so much in many places.

Yesterday I got my hair cut.  It hasn't been cut in about two years.  I simply haven't gone to get it cut.  I don't cut it often anyway.  It had grown fairly long.  Throughout my life I have had short hair and I have had long hair.  I like it both ways.  There was a time where I even had permed hair, but that was a long time ago.

Hair for me is simply something on my head.  It needs to be easy to fix because I'm not good at doing much with it.  I'm a "wash and go" person.  Literally.  A hairdryer is used only on very cold mornings when there isn't enough time to air-dry the hair.

Somewhere from deep inside, the thought came to me that since I had quite a bit of hair, why not check to see if I could donate it.  So, I checked with a friend who is a stylist.  The requirements were that one needed to have 10 inches of hair that hadn't been colored.  My hair fit those requirements.  She assured me that the white hairs interspersed wouldn't count as "colored". ☺

Donating my hair is something I had thought about before, but never really had enough.  Not until recently.  I haven't had short hair since about 2010 or a year or so before.   I haven't even thought about cutting my hair until fairly recently, though there was one time about a year ago that I was ready "on go" to shave it when a friend was going through cancer.  Her cancer was removed surgically and further treatments weren't needed.  She didn't go through hair loss.  I didn't need to follow through with the deal I had made with myself, to myself.  But I would have.  And, if, that leading ever comes along again..... to stand by someone's side in such a way, you may see me bald.  Bless us all, because I have no idea what my "bowling ball" head will look like.

I was able to schedule my hair appointment and donation for this week, after my friend got back from an extended Thanksgiving break (due to a car accident that left her stranded, but okay).

Originally, I was going to do this on Thursday, but got back with her to get it done yesterday, Tuesday.  Mainly because there are several things going on in my life and in the life of friends and family that day and I feel the need to be available.

So, yesterday was the day.

Admittedly, I was a little nervous. 

(1) I've not had a haircut in a while.
(2) I had never been to this salon location.
(3) I have never donated my hair before.
(4) I knew this was more than a simple hair cut and donation.

Let me explain #4.  My stylist friend is a spiritual friend, a fellow journeyer on the faith journey.  For her, cutting hair and styling hair isn't "just" a job; it's a ministry.  She listens; she prays.  She is a vessel of love and the Holy Spirit while working on her clients.

I wasn't planning on talking much (and I didn't--some, but not lots).  I simply wanted "to be."  That's what I needed. 

She informed me later that she prayed for me while I was in the chair.  Good!  I was praying for her too.  I was soaking it all in.  Observing the interactions in the studio, observing her work, and simply allowing myself to receive; to receive not only the gift and skill of the stylist on the haircut, but also the prayers poured into me. 

It was a fun time.  Relaxing.  Joyful.  Energizing.  I think I even lost a few pounds.  Well, I at least lost 10 inches.  Of hair.  But that probably doesn't weigh much at all.

me "in the chair" with my donation

The donation is going to Wigs for Kids.  (Click on the highlighted name to learn more about this organization.)

My stylist friend is a true example of living out her calling in the world.  She is ministering right where she is supposed to be.  She makes a difference in the lives of many that come through the doors of that salon and sit in her chair.  Through her leadership and through her styling, she is able to shine and share the love and light of Christ.

What an example for all of us, to be light and love in the world where we are.... whether it is through our vocations, in the stores while shopping, on the roads and in the air while traveling, etc. 

Thanks Studio 3 Salon and Spa for making this donation happen and for making this experience a little less scary! (That was a lot of hair!)

Studio 3 Website
Studio 3 Facebook page

Thanks also for showing me what ministry can look like to someone "in the chair."

May you be blessed on your journey today,

Debra

length of hair prior to cut

the "after cut" photo with stylist

No comments:

Post a Comment