Thursday, September 11, 2014

Mid-Week Vespers... No Condemnation


Last night's mid-week vespers at Hixson UMC was a different format than I have experienced the other two times I have gone.  Both of those times I have experienced the Marty Haugen liturgy. 

The overall atmosphere is the same.  It is a quiet space.  The overall rhythm is slower.  The music and readings are slower and more reflective.  There is time for silence built into the service.

Last night's service included 6 songs, 4 that were written by Jim Lewis who leads the services and two that were written by Stephen Iverson ("Word of Christ" and "Jesus Prayer").  The songs are short, slow, and reflective, and primarily based on Scripture.  The ones not based on Scripture are based on the relationship with God and therefore help to focus one's attention on God, Christ, and Holy Spirit.

The theme last night was "No Condemnation" from week #45 of A Guide to Prayer For All Who Seek God.  The meditation was Rueben Job's words from page 333-334.

Scripture readings last night included Romans 6:12-14 and John 8:1-11.

We spent 5 minutes in silence between the Scripture reading and the meditation reading last night.  Jim had mentioned to me that he was encouraging growth in silence and since I was the silence timer last night prior to reading the meditation, it felt right to stretch it to 5 minutes.  Growth in silence is always a good thing.

The songs were beautiful as was the atmosphere.  I enjoy going early to partake of communion in the parlor.  Last night the pastor (Rev. Reed Shell) shared a passage about the body of Christ and then had us serve the elements to one another.  I always enjoy sharing communion in that fashion.  There is something special about the body connecting in that way.

It is a blessing for me to have this opportunity for a quieter and slower paced weekly service that is near my house, in my community.  It just so happens to be United Methodist, but it could very well be another denomination offering it and it would still be a blessing.  If it were another denomination, I would be engaging in the ecumenical body and sharing with the bigger church, which I do in other ways.  As it is, I am engaging in the connectional body of the United Methodist church and sharing with a sister church down the road.  It is beautiful when the church bodies work together as connectional and share their offerings and resources with one another.

Last night was especially meaningful for me to have that space as I grieved the loss of my friend Leila Niemann who died unexpectedly Sunday night.  The shock of her death and processing it have been part of the ebb and flow of my week.  Yesterday morning the Wednesday morning Bible Study met and shared in a time of remembering and used the UMC hymnal for parts of the service of honoring a loved one who has passed.  We shared stories, laughter, tears, pictures, a poem, books, food, and memories.  Afterwards, we went outside to the labyrinth that Leila was instrumental in bringing to Burks UMC and we walked it.  Then we sang (or tried to) one of her favorite songs, "Nearer My God to Thee" as we circled up outside the labyrinth before we left.

                                                   André Rieu, "Nearer My God to Thee"

Vespers gave me an additional place to be still, to release, to allow God to minister to me.  That is what I needed last night.

At this time and stage in my life, vespers is what I need most.  Because of my study load as I finish my seminary degree, my mind cannot handle much more.  It is my heart and soul that need feeding and a place to rest.  My soul needs a place to catch up with my body.

I take and make time for my soul to catch up with my body at other times and in other spaces too... it's just that I really need much more of it these days.  And, I find that I need it not just individually, but in corporate community too.

I also have a desire to help others [especially leaders (both laity and clergy)] find/make that time and space for their souls to catch up with their bodies.  A mid-week vespers service doesn't quite work out for leaders to attend because they are busy serving in their various positions and churches.  So, I wonder.... when is a time that could work to open up such a space so that leaders could have some time set apart so that their souls could catch up with their bodies?

Well, that's more than plenty for one blog post today..... and I still have that sermon from two weeks ago to post and my 4 year anniversary blog post to write.... all in due time.  I'm still trying to figure out how to balance my Hebrew studies with all of life. ☺

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

Pictures from last night's service and bulletin:

Bindy and Jim Lewis leading in singing (pianist and violinist behind them)


bulletin cover
bulletin from last night's service

No comments:

Post a Comment