Friday, September 5, 2014

Si tuvieras fe / If you only had faith.... what mountains are you facing?

Last night we attended the Still Waters Emmaus Community Gathering in Dayton, TN.  It was our first Gathering there, but I have been to about 3 candlelights over the years and even served dinner on one walk way back when.  We went last night to be able to connect with folks I hadn't seen in a while and because I had sent in my application to be considered as clergy in their community.  Since the Dayton community borders our Chattanooga community, we have some movement between the two communities and I felt led to be part of both.  Having lived in Dayton previously and worshiped in Dayton was part of me wanting to give back to that community too.

During the worship portion of the Gathering, Pastor Eddie Suttles mentioned moving mountains.  He talked about how we can start praising God in advance for the movement of those mountains.  Two things came to mind as he shared..... one was a mountain that has been on my heart and mind for a while... so I lifted it up to God and gave praise that God was going to move it.  The second thing that came to mind was one of the songs we often sang at the Academy, Si tuvieras fe / If you only had faith.

Because I am not able to find my Academy bag at the moment, I had to research the song.  That helped me learn the author (Pablo Sosa) and the translator (Jorge Lockward) and the fact that the song by these Methodist pastors is only currently in print in the Glory to God Presbyterian Hymnal (per hymnary.org).  The song is a catchy rhythmic one, in either language.

On YouTube I found a version of the group Salvador singing it live in a worship service.  Sometimes it is called "Mountain" or "Montaña".  Here it is called "Grano de Mostaza" or "Mustard Seed".


I don't know what mountains you are facing in your life right now, but I do know that mountains are movable.  I've had my share of mountains in the past and there are some in my life now.  Yet, I know that they are passable and/or movable.  There have been times when I've asked them to be moved and there have been times when I've asked for strength for the journey to travel over them.  Each mountain experience / situation is different.  My current journal is teaching me to reach new heights on the mountains.

Listen to the song.  Check out the lyrics.  Reflect on your life situation(s) to see if you are in a time of traveling over the mountain or asking it to move.  Either way is a journey.  If nothing else, you might find yourself moving to the tune and enjoying the Caribbean beat.


LYRICS:

SPANISH:

Si tuvieras fe como grano* de mostaza  [*though some lyrics say «grano», «granito» is also used and 
                                                                   is more accurate as 'a little seed']
Eso lo dice el Señor

Tú le dirías a la montaña
Muévete, muévete
Esa montaña se moverá, se moverá, se moverá

ENGLISH:

If you only had faith just like a little grain of mustard,
This is what Jesus declares.

You would be able to tell the mountain,
Move away. Move away.
And then the mountain would move away,
Would move away, would move away. 

Version of song in English from Presbyterian Hymnal website. (Scroll down; 15th video--labeled).

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

P.S.  I have some blogging to catch up on.... a sermon I preached a couple of weeks ago, my four year anniversary of blogging that is this week, etc.  But I am also balancing my first week of Fall classes, so I hope to get to those next week. 

LINK TO A GREAT ARTICLE ON PABLO SOSA WITH MANY RESOURCES ON WORSHIP (from a time he visited Calvin College)  "Pablo Sosa on Congregational Singing"

No comments:

Post a Comment