Tuesday, December 27, 2016

The Way of the Heart--thoughts on solitiude

I mentioned this book, The Way of the Heart, in my last blogpost about sacred spaces.  I've been reading this book by Henri Nouwen in preparation for the upcoming retreat in January.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through with the book, having finished the sections on solitude and silence.

In yesterday's post, I mentioned one of the sacred spaces (without elaborating) was my rolling sanctuary. I've talked about that before.  When I'm in my car, travelling about, I often drive in silence in order to listen.  It depends on my day and my needs.  Lately, I have needed to create more space than normal of silence and solitude in order to be able to live, love, and lead well.

I say "well", but that isn't always the case.  I do the best I can with where I am, thankful that God is full of mercy and grace.

Thus, the need for space, for quiet, for solitude, for silence.

I have been on the journey to the true self for several years now, intentionally focusing on this because of SoulFeast,  the 5 day Academy, and the 2 Year Academy. The quote I shared yesterday from Nouwen spoke about the false self and how solitude is the furnace of transformation.

In the chapter on solitude, Nouwen goes into detail on this, sharing the example of Christ in solitude in the desert for 40 days and how Christ affirmed God as his only source of identity (16).

What strength, what power, what affirmation-- to affirm God as one's only source of identity.  Whew.  If it took Christ 40 days in the desert to arrive there, how can my 12-15-20-30 minutes of silence and solitude get me there?!?!  Am I willing to go through the furnace of transformation (solitude) to remember whose and who I am?  I need that.  I need that in order to simply be.  More importantly, I need that in order to live, love, and lead.  But, am I willing to make it a priority?  I've gotten better at creating this space over the years, but it's an area that can continue to grow.

If my identity isn't rooted in whose I am, then I have nothing to offer of any signficance to others.  This takes focus and intentionality.

That is why I have continued to attempt to grow in my silence and solitude journey, in my overall faith journey.

Nouwen reminds that "ministry can be fruitful only if it grows out of a direct and intimate encounter with our Lord." (21)

"Solitude is thus the place of purification and transformation, the place of the great struggle and the great encounter." (22)

"... it is the place where we want to lead all who are seeking the light in this dark world." (22)

Nouwen's writings on compassion align with those of Frank Rogers from this summer's retreat.  Nouwen writes: "Compassion is the fruit of solitude and the basis of all ministry." (24)''

Food for thought: "When we are filled with God's merciful presence, we can do nothing other than minister because our whole being witnesses to the light in the darkness." (28)

Though I've also read the chapter on silence, that's enough for tonight.  It's been a long day.

Peace and blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment