Thursday, June 15, 2017

Abiding... Reflections on Forgiveness


I'm sitting on the patio at the Starnes Cottage (lower level) where we stayed for the week of Annual Conference at Lake Junaluska.  We stayed an extra day which turned out to be a good thing because I had a required meeting yesterday afternoon at 1pm that I learned about the Thursday before.  It was a very important meeting and one I was glad to attend.  It was "the meeting" in which the packet of required materials for the ordination interviews were given out to the ordinands.  Now, we gear up for the September 25th due date and our November 6th interviews.

By staying an extra day, not only was I able to attend that meeting, but Riley and I were able to walk around the lake last night.  I hadn't had a chance to do that.  Up to that point, the only walking I had done was back and forth to Stuart Auditorium.

Last night's walk around the lake allowed my soul to expand as I took in the sights of the flowers, the ducks, the geese, the water, the sunset, the many garden areas.  I took quite a few pictures and will probably do a "lake post" in the near future.

This morning we are heading to Hayesville, NC to visit with family before heading home.  We don't get to see Riley's family often so we are taking advantage of being this close to visit.

This morning I read the next reading in Macrina Wiederkehr's Abide: Keeping Vigil with the Word of God.  It was a challenging topic.  Sometimes I live into it well.  At other times it is a struggle.  I imagine that is the experience for many people.  It is an ongoing opportunity to learn and to love.

The topic? Forgiveness.

In Chapter Five, "Return to Your Original Love", section 4 is "A Season of Forgiveness".

The Scripture passage is Genesis 33. [If you click on the Scripture reference, it takes you to biblegateway.com.  You can switch from The Message to another version if you prefer.]

The passage is about Jacob and Esau meeting up on the road.  It takes place after Jacob's experience of wrestling, coming away with a new name and a limp (Genesis 32:23-33).

Here are my notes from my reading this morning:

Jacob took a "journey toward reconciliation" with his brother Esau.  That's how Macrina worded it (185).  A journey toward reconciliation.  That is what forgiveness does for us.  It allows us to reconcile.

I could spend an entire day on that initial phrase "journey toward reconciliation".  Where are the places and/or who are the people in my life that require a journey toward reconciliation?  What about you?

Macrina notes: "Our ability to forgive is, perhaps, one of our most Godlike qualities." (185)

Macrina shared two stories, one of someone who could not forgive and another of someone who did forgive.  Of the latter, Macrina notes "the freedom she experienced in being able to forgive lifted a burden and "set her free."" (186)

Yes.  Forgiveness sets us free.  It loosens the chains of bondage and bitterness and sets us free to love again.  It isn't easy nor is it without cost, yet it is the most life giving choice.

Some situations are easier to work through / walk through forgiveness than others.  It is a journey worth every ounce of effort.

Macrina mentions that there is both a "challenge and joy of forgiveness". (186)  I would agree to that.

In the reflection and prayer section, Macrina challenges us to put ourselves in both the places of Jacod and Esau and experience what both would have thought and felt.  Relive that reunion from both their viewpoints.

The other two challenges are more personal.

"Think of a time in your life when you needed to forgive someone.  Pray for that person.  Is there anything that is unfinished between the two of you?" (188)

"Is there anyone whose forgiveness you need to experience?  What would it cost you in terms of time, pride, or love to complete the process of forgiveness?" (188)

Wow.  If we take these questions seriously and take the time to process them, we can learn and grow. I reflect back on some meaningful moments of forgiving and receiving forgiveness in my life.  It has brought reconciliation in ways I could not have imagined.  I am glad for the grace to have stepped forward in faith in these situations.

It takes faith, boldness, and courage to seek reconciliation, no matter the situation.

I pray for me, I pray for you..... I pray for whatever people or situations come to mind that need forgiveness and reconciliation.  May we all be bold and courageous, going forward with the grace and love of Christ to work through the needed steps toward forgiveness and reconciliation.

Macrina's closing prayer might be helpful, so I will post it here:

"Gracious Guide on All Our Journeys, 

Be with the Esau-and Jacobs of this world.  Empower them to find their hearts of flesh, their holy limp, and their new names as they continue on their individual pilgrimages of reconciliation.  Move into my heart-space and speak to me of compassionate loving.  The road to forgiveness is so challenging.  Encourage me.  Support me. Affirm me.  I invite into the household of my love all those whom I struggle to forgive. (Mention names.)  O God of so much mercy, teach me vulnerability." (188)

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment