Thursday, June 22, 2017

Jesus Stopped

The chapter for my abide time three days ago was "Jesus Stopped" in Macrina Wiederkehr's Abide: Keeping Vigil with the Word of God.  Just looking at the title, one would think the message was going to be about Jesus taking stops and rests.  There are passages in Mark that talk about this, where Jesus gets away from the crowd to be by himself, to pray, and/or to be with a small group of disciples.

This is my first thought when I see "Jesus Stopped"-- because I need more pauses and stops in my life. However, I haven't been able to stop much this week, though I have carved out some "pause" moments along the way.  When I'm not able to fully stop for a while, pauses are wonderful 'next-best-things'.  Pauses can be momentary or they can be longer.  It just depends.

I am in need of some longer pauses.  I recognize that.  In fact, I am in need of some stop time.  I will take time tomorrow on my Sabbath day of rest for just that.  Some "stop".  Some "rest".

Today, I saw this post by a friend and a colleague and it fit in to the message I'm working on for Sunday, "Be Like Jesus" and this theme of Jesus stopping and resting:


As I look back over what I read three mornings ago and the notes I took on this chapter in the book, I am reminded that the "stop" referred to in this chapter is not the 'stop and rest' kind, but rather the 'stop-what-you-are-doing-and-and-do-for-another' kind of stop.

The Scripture focus was Mark 10:46-52.

Jesus was leaving Jericho when the beggar loudly called out his name.  Jesus could have kept on going down the road and ignored the man, but he didn't.  He stopped.  Jesus stopped his journey in order to minister to someone else.  This interruption could have made him late to his next appointment.  He could have gotten in the afternoon traffic by stopping when he did.  It could have been an inconvenience to him.  Period. But none of that seemed to matter or even come up. Jesus stopped and listened to the man.

How often do we become still enough to hear the cry of someone calling out to us?  Can we hear it?  If we think we hear it, do we then become still enough to make sure that is what we heard?

I'm not great at it, but I'm attempting to work on my listening skills.  When I hear a "cry", whether it is from someone or a nudge from the Holy Spirit on someone's behalf, I attempt to stop long enough to listen.  What am I listening for?  The next step.  Am I to lift someone in prayer?  Am I to call?  Am I to take another form of action?

I have had the opportunity to stop and listen this week.

Macrina writes: "When Jesus heard the pleading and persistent cry of the beggar, he stopped.  Most of us find stopping and interrupting our schedules difficult." (194)

One thing that has helped me is to try to leave room in my schedule for stops and interruptions.  The other thing that has helped me is to remember that interruptions can be considered holy moments and I can encounter God in another person through it.

"Jesus had to stop; he had to interrupt his journey so that he could give his full attention to the one who was calling his name.  Do we know when to stop? [...] How do you need to stop and listen to your life? [...] How do I hear the voice of Jesus in my life?" (195)

On Sunday, after visiting a church member in the ER, we were heading out when I noticed a couple in another "room".  The man was lying in the bed and the woman was sitting in the chair.  They didn't see us, but something nudged me to go back and ask them if they'd like me to pray with them.  So, I did.  And they did.  The man was having stomach pains.  The woman brightened up that someone had come in to be with them. It turned out that they were from Murphy, NC and their doctor was here.  We shared our connection with that part of NC.  I could have ignored the "voice" telling me to stop.  I could have kept on going.  They weren't anyone I knew.  But I would have missed a blessing in meeting a wonderful couple.

The end of the chapter notes: "This is your week to stop and listen." (196)

Stop and listen.


I have attempted to do so and there have been some interesting results.  I found myself calling a Mexican restaurant and asking them to deliver some food to a local flower shop.  They did.  They became part of the chain of doing something for someone else because they interrupted what they were doing to help me help another.  That was a super blessing for them to do that.

It's a way of life, stopping and listening.  It's not just for a day or even a week.  If we are going to "be like Jesus", it's something we learn to do.  Period.

It's another area of learning and growing for me because there are times that my busyness or focus or other things will keep me from being able to stop and hear.  Yet, the more I practice stopping and listening, the better I become at doing it.  It's like muscle strengthening and muscle memory.

In the "reflection and prayer" section for this chapter, Macrina encourages the reader to "be on the lookout for opportunities to pause." (197)

There are other parts of the chapter that stood out to me too, but this is what gets shared tonight.

May there be times of stopping and listening along your journey.

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment