Friday, September 29, 2017

Rebuild

This morning I came outside for my coffee and some reading on the patio.  It's a cool morning.  I went to check on the spider and spider web that I've been watching all week. 

This big spider has made its home on the gate and has connected to the lamp post and the hummingbird feeder (and the side of the house).  The first time I saw the web (and the spider), I was surprised at how big they both were.  I have enjoyed watching the web grow and change over time.

taken September 24
We have been careful to not use the gate and/or to duck under the web when we do. There is one tenuous thread that holds it to the lamp post. 

This morning when I looked over to the web, what caught my attention was that it had moved.  'That's odd', I thought to myself.  So, I went closer to inspect it.  In doing so, my friend, the spider, quickly vacated his center of the web. 



As I observed the web, indeed, it was now much closer to the hummingbird feeder.  It is smaller.  It looks like the spider had to rebuild. 

We had some winds last night.  That could be why.  Or something could have flown into it, or maybe, it was just time to rebuild.  I don't know.

Whatever the reason, the spider rebuilt. But, the other thing I noticed was that there was still a center. 

Even though the web was moved over and rebuilt, it still had its center.

The spider could rebuild the web, whether it had to because of destruction, whether it needed to because of safety, or whether it wanted to.  For whatever reason it rebuilt, the web would be built around the center.

There are times in my life that I've had to rebuild.  Because of destruction, because of safety, because I wanted to, felt called to, etc.  The rebuilding has happened emotionally, spiritually, vocationally, relationally, and other. 

As I reflect on the rebuilding, just like the spider and the web, the center has remained the same.  The center of my life has been my relationship with the Creator., even when I haven't always been aware of that relationship (that's called prevenient grace.)  Because of that relationship with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, I've been able to stay centered through the rebuilding.  Even when there was a shift in the paradigm, I am learning that the center has always been there. 

The center of my faith life is to live, love, and lead like Jesus.  I seek to follow the Way of Jesus: love God and love others as myself.

On an educational note, I wanted to know about this spider and web, so I did some research.  Because the "hub" is in the middle and the web looks like a "wagon wheel", it is most likely an orb spider.  Not all spider webs have a hub in the middle, but this one does and this is the one that caused my reflection today as I prayed with eyes open.

For a second link on spider research, you can go to the Smithsonian.

I am grateful for my spider friend and the web.  I have always liked spider webs because they remind me of community holding on to one another in support and prayer. 

Now I have something else to think about when I see spider webs.

Where are you in your journey?  Are you in a rebuilding stage of any kind? If so, look to your center.  May your center be the hub around which the new is rebuilt.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment