Friday, September 1, 2017

Slowing down, making myself take time to be still

I don't know about you, but when I don't make enough time (or take enough time) to be still, it starts to take a negative toll on my heart, mind, soul, and body.  I become tired (exhausted even), worn down, irritated, frazzled.  Yep, it happens.  Thankfully, I didn't let it go too long this time before I made time and space to "be still".  But, I had let it get away from me.  It happens all too easily.

The morning times that I set aside for silence, listening, or reading somehow got taken by something else this week.  And, on a morning when I wanted to stop and walk, I didn't.  I went on in to the office.  Yes, there have been things that needed to be done in the work and ministry, yet, I know all too well that if I'm not taking care of myself-- body, soul, heart, and mind-- then I am no good to any one.

Yesterday the message kept coming "be still and know that I am God".  I listened and obeyed.  I spent some time yesterday being still and listening.

In that time, I felt the nudge to share that lesson as the devotion at the team meeting, so I created the hourglass "be still and know" from Psalm 46:10 that I had used before and printed some copies.


In searching my computer for "be still" yesterday I found a picture I had created from a family vacation in 2015.  The beach always brings peace to my soul.  I now have at least a couple of verse pictures from different locations.


This morning I shared the "be still" verse and hourglass devotion with a friend as I had my "chair time" and decided later to post on social media with these thoughts/instructions:

"Find a place to be, to sit, to be in a hammock, or whatever works for you. Take a few deep breaths. Read slowly. Rest with God for a few moments when you are done. Repeat as needed."

I stopped at Wired Coffee Bar for some reading and writing time this morning.  Guess what I found on the white board in the back room?


This morning before I left the house I spent some time outside.  The winds were blowing, there was thunder rolling in the distance.  Hummingbirds were coming to get food.  Two hummingbirds were fighting at one point.  I didn't get as much time as I wanted due to the impending storm and my need to head out, but it was a start.




I am continuing my time today at Wired Coffee Bar, where I will also spend time reading Eugene Peterson's The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction that I started yesterday.  It is about being unbusy, subversive, and apocalyptic.  Being unbusy is something I strive to do and be, but it is a battle.  I will likely be sharing what I learn as I read.

What will you do today to slow down, to make yourself take time to be still?

Blessings on your journey!

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment