Saturday, December 16, 2017

Advent 2017-- Week 2 (December 10-16) photos and reflections

Has week two of Advent gone by quickly for you?  It has for me.  I guess it's the ebb and flow of life.  Some weeks go by more quickly than others.

What has sustained you during this second week of Advent as far as devotions and practices?  Have you tried anything different?  I have seen some neat Advent coloring sheets, but I haven't had the time to explore obtaining them, much less coloring them.  I have used coloring in the past as a way to slow down, to reflect, to be still, so I think that would be a helpful practice during Advent.

I have continued the Advent Photo-A-Day as a practice.  Here is the entire list of words for the season as a reminder:


Since last week, I did another search on social media for "adventphoto" and found several groups besides #rethinkchurch with Advent Photo-A-Day opportunities.  I was glad to see them, but wish I had seen them sooner, although it was a good practice for me to create something to use.

Here are the words from December 10-16, along with the narrative:

December 10

Today's word is peace. What is peace to you? Where do you see peace reflected? Where do you need peace?

December 11

Today's word is justice. What does justice mean to you? What does it look like? Where is justice lacking? How does justice fit into your Advent?

December 12

Today's word is gift. What is the most memorable (or meaningful) gift you have ever received? What is the most memorable (or meaningful) gift you have given? What is the most meaningful gift to you this Advent?

December 13

Today's word is reflection. What does this word bring to mind? What are your reflections today?

December 14

Today's word is free. What comes to mind when you consider the word? How are you free or how are you not free this Advent?

December 15

Today's word is faith. How do you describe your faith? What role does your faith play in your life? How would you relate the concept of faith to someone who asked you about it?

December 16


Today's Advent word is wonder. What does the word "wonder" bring up for you? What causes you to wonder? What aspects of the word are relevant to you in this Advent season?

Here are my entries for each day:

December 10

Today's Advent word is peace. I went outdoors today for some silence and solitude. I listened to the roar of the creek, the crunch of the gravel. I skipped stones. I listened to the trickle of the waterfall. It is well with my soul. #peace #Adventphoto #holstongap


December 11

Today's Advent word is justice. There are several meaningful verses on justice, but this one combines nature, so it is a favorite. To do justice is to do what is right. #justice #adventphoto #holstongap


December 12

Today's Advent word is gift. This is the morning sky from today. Each day is a gift for which I am grateful, as I am able to enjoy the beauty of creation and time with family, friends, and the Creator. #gift #adventphoto #holstongap


December 13


Today's Advent word is reflection. I posted this heart rock the other day from my Sunday afternoon walk. A friend commented that it is amazing how I have been seeing hearts everywhere. That caused me to stop and reflect. How long has it been that hearts have been a sign, a symbol for me? I can go back at least 5 years. It might be one or two more. I noticed one. Then more. I remember a heart leaf in the driveway one day and my reaction to it-- I needed that reminder. Hearts remind me that the Creator is love, that I am loved, that I can keep on loving others. God IS love. Love is of God. Hearts remind me to keep living a life of love, and to keep leading a life of love. 1 John 4:7--"Let us love one another for love comes from God." #seeaheartshareaheart #reflection #adventphoto #holstongap

December 14

Today's Advent word is free. I am most free when I live as the authentic self I was created to be. One of the spiritual practices that helps me be that person is contemplative photography. This photo is from last spring, a dogwood tree at Flintstone UMC. The pink of this flower reminds me of the pink candle for Advent 3, the joy candle. #free #adventphoto #holstongap


December 15


Today's Advent word is faith. This stone expresses my faith. I continue to trust, to seek to grow in a deeper relationship in this faith journey, step by step. Some days are smooth; others are rocky. I learn and grow through all. If I were to come up with an acronym for faith, it might be "following as I trust him" (Jesus). #faith #Adventphoto #holstongap

December 16

Today's Advent word is wonder. I don't often get to see this building lit up at night. When I do, I take time to observe and admire the beauty of the cross, the window, the building. The story behind the cross on top and the Ripley's believe-it-or not rock church are additional aspects of wonder. #littlerockchurch #FlintstoneGa #wonder #Adventphoto #holstongap

Blessings on your journey to the manger this Advent season,

Debra





No comments:

Post a Comment