Sunday, December 31, 2017

Last hike/walk of 2017

Yesterday afternoon we took our last hike/walk of 2017. For a moment, when the sun came out today, I almost went back out for a true last walk in 2017. But upon steppng outside, it was 20 degrees colder than yesterday. I wimped out. (Plus my hip is a tad tired from yesterday.)

We parked on the lower parking area at Craven's house so we could walk in the flat road access. When we parked, we saw several cars and a lone hangglider in the sky. Before I could snap a shot, it had floated out of range behind the trees.

The path we took was part of the Guild-Hardy trail. A few weeks back we were there and started at the top of Craven's House, followinf the trail down and going out the flat part to the right.

Yesterday we wanted to go in that way and see how far it went. We went to the point you could see Sunset Rock above. If we had more time until sunset we could have gone further, but we cut it close.

This path was perfect for me to walk because there are no obstacles and it is flat. Because of that, I chose not to wear my hip brace. Hindsight tells me the brace would still have been a good idea. Today there is some pain. But I have finally been able to get to the point where I can say yes to hip replacement surgery, so that is good. 2018 will bring a new left hip and will hopefully allow me to get 100% back into hiking, walking, motorcycle riding, and other activities that have been limited.

There were several places where the trail went up or down, including rhe section we had been on previously.

A highlight of the hike was seeing a rather large heart rock in the woods. I wonder if it is natural or chiseled. The area was used by CCC work camps as evidenced by remains of Camp Demaray.

Soldiers and Native Americans once lived in thst area too. Whether or not the rock is naturally a heart or somehow fashioned into one, it was incredible to find.

The other thing I found was a "recycle, reuse, reduce" green bracelet under a leaf. I put it on a sign.

We went a little over three miles on the path. We saw a couple of bike riders, a few walkers, some folks with dogs. It was good to be outdoors and to end the year with some outdoor time in creation.

I am looking forward to more outdoor time in 2018.

Peace and blessings on your journey,
Debra

Pictures from yesterday:















No comments:

Post a Comment