Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The end of Advent 2017

The last two days of the Advent 2017 photo challenge. Christmas is here. Notice that I did not add "and gone". That is because the Christmas season has only just begun. In fact, today is day 2, with Christmas Day having been day 1. We journey now through the Christmas season with the Christ child until Epiphany. At that time, the Magi visit the Christ child, bring him gifts, and celebrate him.

We'll get there, but for today we are at Christmas 1 and I want to finish Advent.

The last two days of the Advent Photo-A-Day Challenge were December 24-- love and December 25-- birth.

Here are the pictures from those days:

December 24-- love



Today's Advent word is love. I am challenged daily to live, love, and lead like Jesus. Love is the key to keep on keeping on when things get tiring, difficult, or for whatever reason we no longer can. Love of God and love of others helps me to continue loving God and others. Love wins. Pictured here is Christmas love. "His banner over me is love." May the love of the Christ child fill you today and everyday. #love #adventphoto #holstongap


December 25-- birth



Today's word is birth. We celebrate the birth of the Christ child. That child grew into an adult who modeled love and respect for others; one that brought hope and healing into this world. I continue to learn much from this child and I desire to live, love, and lead by his example. #birth #adventphoto #holstongap


Here is a compilation picture of all the Advent and Christmas Eve bulletins:


On Advent 4, I was blessed to worship in two congregations that morning, Fort Oglethorpe UMC and Simpson UMC.  That evening I was at Flintstone UMC for the Christmas Eve service, which was a community service this year with four churches participating.  It turned out to be a very special evening and I was blessed to see it unfold.



I woke up on Christmas Day to a glorious sunrise, yet sad news that one of our members had gone to see Jesus.  I was glad she was no longer suffering or in pain, yet I will miss her humor and spunk.


Reflecting back on this Advent season and Christmas, what do you want to take with you into the next 12 days of Christmas and into the new year?  Is there something you've picked up along the way that you can take with you?  Doing the photo a day challenge has helped me stay in the present and that is something I always need.  Mindfulness.  Being intentional.  Being present.  

Going through Advent with others has given me new ideas on how I might add some traditions into my celebrating in the years to come-- life-sized Advent wreaths for the outdoors, Advent rocks, many different ways to do indoor Advent wreaths at home.






(Outdoor Advent wreath and Advent rocks are courtesy of Patrick Hunt.)

Advent has been refreshing and a new beginning to the year.  I am looking forward to these days of Christmas as we move through the Christmas season.  That reminds me. 

One of the more powerful writings around Christmas that comes back every year is Howard Thurman's writing about Christmas.  I have shared it before.  I share it now on Christmas 2, though it is really more appropriate for after Epiphany:

"Now the Work of Christmas Begins"--https://www.ignatianspirituality.com/8598/now-the-work-of-christmas-begins

When the song of the angels is stilled,
when the star in the sky is gone,
when the kings and princes are home,
when the shepherds are back with their flocks,
the work of Christmas begins:
to find the lost,
to heal the broken,
to feed the hungry,
to release the prisoner,
to rebuild the nations,
to bring peace among the people,
to make music in the heart.

Blessings on your Christmas season, 

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment