Friday, June 1, 2018

Embracing Soul Care-- Help Yourself First

I'm enjoying Embracing Soul Care: Making Space for What Matters Most by Stephen W. Smith.  Today's chapter, "Help Yourself First" (Chapter 7) used a familiar analogy to me, that of placing the oxygen mask on yourself first when flying.  We have to breathe first before we help others to breathe.  I have heard that used before in self-care, soul care and have used that when talking, sharing, and teaching too.


Living it has taken years of practice, however, and I continue to learn to live into it.  Maybe I'm not the only one.

Why is it that something so logical (taking care of ourselves so that we can take care of others) becomes pushed aside because it seems almost illogical, selfish, or something contrary?

I think part of why we push against taking care of ourselves is that we have been made to think it's selfish.

I have slowly, but surely, learned that it is NOT selfish to take care of myself.  Quite the opposite.  It is loving and caring for myself and others to do so. If I don't take care of myself, then I am not able to take care of others.

The chapter brings up the acronym J.O.Y. (Jesus, Others, You) and how "You" is always last.  I think that is another reason many people think we are not to take care of ourselves. That acronym is mis-used.  While Jesus does come first, taking care of ourselves IS putting Jesus first.  We honor Jesus in us by taking care of ourselves.  The author notes this about the acronym: "What this doesn't take into account is that Jesus lives in the soul of every Christian.  Jesus is in us.  By taking care of the soul, we honor the Christ who dwells within.  We honor him first by taking care of ourselves."  (43)

What things do I do to take care of my soul, to take care of myself?

I make time to rest, to slow down, to read, to write, to take pictures, to be with friends and family, to enjoy a cup of coffee, to take an adventure trip to see waterfalls, to sit and breathe (literally), to sit and be still, to take a walk or a hike.  These are a few of the things I do for soul care, self care.

Questions at the end of the chapter for reflection: (page 45)

  • Does it seem self-centered to talk about taking care of your soul first?
  • How can you begin taking care of your soul first?
  • How will taking care of your soul first affect others?

The quote for this chapter is from Thomas À Kempis: "A humble understanding of yourself is a surer way to God than a profound searching after knowledge."

The Scripture is from Psalm 119:80 (MSG): "And let me live whole and holy, soul and body, so I can always walk with my head held high."

Two pictures today of the beauty of creation.  One from my backyard and one from the 5th floor of The Edney:




Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment