Monday, October 15, 2018

Community-- fly in formation

This morning I went to Chester Frost Park for the sunrise, some quiet time, and to drink my coffee.  By the time the sun had risen, my coffee was gone.  It struck me that my coffee was depleted, but my soul was refreshed.

In addition to watching the various stages of the sun rising, I was blessed to see a flock of geese fly over.  I had been hoping for that.

When I heard the beginnings of honking in the distance, I knew it was a possibility and turned my eyes to the sky.  As I watched, they approached in perfect "V" formation.  It is neat to watch them fly, supporting each other in formation, in community.


I've been thinking quite a bit about community these past several days. As I preached from Psalm 22 yesterday, I shared that we need one another in our dark and difficult times.  As we cry out from the depths of our souls, we need community.  We need community in the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Yesterday afternoon, I shared with a group of folks gathered around to celebrated the life of a teenager that we need community.  That we need one another to walk with us, to be there, etc.  There was quite a turnout of community for that young man.

Yesterday evening, I spent time in community.  I just needed to "be".  I needed to be with folks where we could share table fellowship, simply be ourselves, and share about life if we wanted to... or not.

Community.  We all need community.  We are better together.

May we fly like the geese, supporting one another to continue the journey.  Do you need someone to fly with, to accompany you along the way?

Let me know.  I'm available.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

P.S.  Have you ever wondered why geese and other migratory birds fly in "V" formation?  It is said to conserve energy and to aid in keeping track of each other.  Check it out here.

5 Things Geese Can Teach Us About Teamwork by Len Wilson

Morning sunrise pictures at Chester Frost Park:








Here is a link to the Chester Frost Shelter #3 that is  near where I was this morning.  There are two small covered picnic areas closer to the water.  I was at the first one you come to from the first entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment