Thursday, October 18, 2018

Embracing Soul Care-- Shaped by the Psalms


I continue reading this book by Stephen Smith and am on chapter 26, "Shaped by the Psalms". This is very timely as I am preaching from the Psalms this month.  I haven't posted the sermons yet, but I will get to it.

In the meantime, here are some thoughts and notes from this chapter.

The chapter opens with a quote from Eugene Patterson: "The Psalms in Hebrew are earthy and rough. They are not genteel. They are not the prayers of nice people couched in cultural language." (91)

Psalm 19:7 also is at the beginning of the chapter: "The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple."

Quotes from the author:

"The psalmist's honesty helps us articulate the deep stirring of our own souls." (91)

"The psalms are a mirror of the soyl; in them we see ourselves. Such honest words speak comfort lead us in the way, and express our craving for soul care." (91)

"The psalms can shape our souls. They say what words do not easily express--about our God, our relationships, and ourselves." (92)

Do you have a favorite Psalm?

I have several.

I grew up learning Psalm 23 in the King James version. I still know that version, but enjoy other versions of it. Psalm 139 is another Psalm that is dear to me.  Psalm 42, 62, and others come to mind.

Whether it is words of comfort, words that express creation, words that reveal raw emotion-- whatever I seem to experience or need in the moment, I am able (usually) to find something that relates and connects in a Psalm.

The Psalms have been and continue to be an integral part of my faith journey.

How are the Psalms a part of your journey?

Blessings on your journey,
Debra



No comments:

Post a Comment