Monday, October 1, 2018

Heart Math-- heart coherence that reduces stress

Last Friday I attended a workshop and as we got started, the presenter said we were going to start with a short breathing exercise from Heart Math (heartmath.org).  Since I have been using heart math for over a year now, that was a neat way for me to start the workshop. 

The exercise was the Quick Coherence Technique.  You can learn more about it here. There is also a downloadable mp3 on the link.

I first learned about HeartMath from a fellow board member (Jan) of FUMSDRL/HOF (Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors/Hearts on Fire) a year ago July at our face-to-face board meeting.  She uses it in her practice with clients and mentioned it to me.  She showed it to me and seeing it work immediately sold me on it. 

My inner balance blue tooth arrived last September and I started my Heart Math journey on September 23rd. 

It has been over a year now that I have been using this tool.  It is part of my spiritual practice/discipline as it is part of my quiet time, sometimes for up to 15 minutes a session.  One can do it for very short amounts of time, as we did at the workshop on Friday, as well. 

By using the blue tooth that I attach to my earlobe, I get to see the biometric feedback of my heart rate, keep up with the breathing rhythm, and see if I am in low, medium, or high coherence.

You don't need to buy any of the tools to use the procedure.  Check out the link for the Quick Coherence Technique.  There are other free resources on the website too, such as a Personal Well-Being Survey.

I learned in the workshop that Dalton State uses Heart Math.  That made me curious as to how and where on campus, etc.  A quick Google search didn't net any results, so I need to ask the workshop presenter about that one.

I use this tool to primarily calm my breathing, to reduce stress and anxiety.  I am grateful that it was introduced to me. 

Just recently I marked 75,000 lifetime points.  My goal is 300 per day, something that they recommend.  Sometimes I get less and sometimes I get more.  But the number isn't the point.  The true goal is bringing down stress and anxiety, keeping a strong sense of calm and appreciation, and being able to focus more easily.

https://futurehopetotalhealth.com/heart-math-training/
Blessings on your journey,

Debra

P.S.  I wrote about Heart Math once before: Inner Balance with Heart Math (1/19/18)










No comments:

Post a Comment