Saturday, December 7, 2019

Advent 1 2019--photo a day challenge photos and reflections

It's that time of year again-- Advent.  The season of preparation, of reflection, of slowing down.  How do I slow down?  One way I slow down is that I participate in a photo-a-day challenge.  Contemplative photography is one of the spiritual disciplines that helps me focus and slow down, one that is especially needed during the busy time of Advent.

I will post the calendar for the Advent season, the daily word, along with the questions, and my post with photo and reflections.  As I have been reading other people's posts this week, I have been encouraged by their words and photos.  I encourage you to do a search using the hashtags for each day, along with #adventphoto to find some of these posts too.



Week 1


Advent begins today, December 1. The pilgrimage journey toward the birth of Christ begins anew. Where do you see hope this season? Where do you need hope? What depicts hope to/for you? Reflect on today's word #hope. Share a photo here or a reflection. #hope #advent2019 #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Today's Advent word is #hope. As I stood on the deck drinking my coffee, I noticed the fledgling tree. It reminds me of the tiny tree my aunt and I watched year by year at my great grandfather's home in south Georgia. We hoped it would grow. It did. Will this tree grow? What is its roots system? Does it have enough support? It is a little too close to the fence and may need to be replanted for its health and ultimate growth. Replanting is a part of life. Moving to new locations. A new (-ish) tree. New life. This gives me hope. #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Today's Advent word is #wait. Advent is a waiting season. As you reflect on this word, what comes to mind? Are you waiting for anything specific? How does the activity of waiting play a role in your spiritual formation? #wait #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's Advent word is #wait. As the season begins, how will "wait" and "waiting" be part of the journey for me this season? Where and when will I need to wait? How will I handle the times of wait? Will I watch and listen? Will I grow impatient? As I watched Cliff eye the turkey, in hopes of receiving some, I noticed his attentiveness. Whatever comes this season, may I wait in a posture of hope, attentiveness, and calmness. #wait #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #darkness. Often there are dark periods on a journey or pilgrimage, spiritual or otherwise. What can we learn in these times of darkness? How do you go through the times of darkness? As you reflect on this word, what comes to mind? How does "darkness" play a role in your spiritual formation? #darkness #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's Advent word is #darkness. The photo is from last week, an early morning view while it was still dark, somewhat. I have learned to appreciate darkness. Darkness isn't all bad or evil. Darkness can provide a space for growth for the recently planted seed in the soil. Much happens that is not seen until the shoot pushes through the ground. There is life and growth even if not visible. A song in my brain all day contains this line: "in him there is no darkness at all." This is from "I want to walk as a child of the light." Jesus, as the Light, offers light to see that even darkness can be good and helpful. A link to the song: https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/history-of-hymns-i-want-to-walk-as-a-child-of-the-light


Today's word is #preparation. What preparations are you making for this Advent season? Or, have you considered Advent as something for which to prepare? What preparations could be made for the Advent season rather than looking ahead to the Christmas season (which begins on Christmas day)? As you reflect on this word, what comes to mind? #preparation #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #preparation. This is me getting my flu shot. I am doing what I can to be prepared for the flu season that is upon us. I know I am late to the game or party or whatever analogy you want to use. However, being late doesn't exclude me from preparing. It meant making time in my daily routine. It meant wearing a short sleeve shirt. It meant making preparations for the preparation. To prepare is to be intentional. How am I being intentional and preparing this Advent season? I am making time to read, to reflect, to be. I am attempting to open myself anew to the wonders of the Christ child. What about all those other preparations for the season? You know, the ones in the church and at home? Thankfully, at church, there is a host of helpers! At home, we'll get to it. The external preparations are less important to me than the internal, but I am looking forward to decorating. #preparation #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #light. When you reflect on this word, what comes to mind? How does "light" play a role for you this Advent season or in your spiritual formation overall? #light #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #light. Candles are a go-to for me, as they brighten up even the darkest space. One candle, shining even a small amount of light, can make a difference. Be the light. #light #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc



Today's word is #sign. Are you looking for a sign this Advent season? What would you hope a sign would show or reveal? #sign #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #sign. I saw this sign while we were in L.A. visiting my stepdaughter and her husband a couple of spring breaks back. This sign was in the building where her business is located. "Love is the way." Yes! May we find a way to allow love to be the way everyday and not solely during this Advent season as we journey toward the One who embodies love with us, God with us, Emmanuel. #sign #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #ponder. What comes to mind as your reflect on this word? What things do you ponder this Advent season? What depicts "ponder" for you? #ponder #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #ponder. I ponder the Scripture posted on Bamboo Encounter this morning-- Isaiah 55:12. As I look out over the back yard, I look through the trees and toward the mountain/hill. I imagine the joy expressed through God's creation. Though the trees are quiet in the moment and there is no clapping, when the winds come, there is clapping, as in the bamboo. Creation speaks to us if we listen. May I make time to listen. #ponder #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


These are the pictures, questions, and reflections for Advent 1.  Tomorrow begins Advent 2.  May there be ongoing peace on your Advent pilgrimage journey toward the Christ child.

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment