Sunday, December 15, 2019

Advent 2 2019 photos and reflections

Here are the photos and reflections for week 2 of the Advent photo-a-day challenge.  As with week 1, I'll post the word of the day and the accompanying questions along with my photo and reflections.  Advent is a paradoxical time.  It is a time to slow down and reflect, yet everything is still going on quickly around us, at least in my world.  It takes being intentional for me to slow down, to focus, to reflect, to center.  That's why I choose to focus on a word a day.  This week's words were: peace, justice, gift, reflection, freedom, faithfulness, and wonder.


Week 2:


Today's word is #peace. (If you're following my preaching series, then you know I forgot to switch "hope" and "peace" for the first two Sundays, but that's okay.) What is "peace" to/for you? As you reflect on the word "peace" during this Advent season, where do you need peace most? How can you be peace for others? What depicts peace to you? #peace #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #peace. I always enjoyed seeing this wreath yearly in my 1st appointment at Simpson UMC in Rossville. Quiet time brings me peace. Time with Cliff brings me peace. As peace is needed in this Advent season, may it be available. #peace #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #justice. How does this word fit into the Advent season for you? Where is justice needed? As you reflect on this word, what comes to mind? #justice #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #justice. This is one of many local murals that captures justice for me. It reminds me that we are a diverse people, that we are on land that belonged to others first, and that we are still fighting for justice for so many. Amos is my go-to for justice--- Amos 5:24--"But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!" #justice #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #gift. Gifts can come in all shapes and sizes. They can be tangible or intangible. What gifts are you giving this Advent season to others? What gifts are you receiving? When you reflect on this word, what comes to mind? #gift #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #gift. This gift is Charlie. Through Charlie's life, I have received gifts of love, grace, forgiveness, compassion, among others. Charlie's giftedness in music and art have been gifts shared with others over the years. I am grateful for this gift of life that I am privileged to share. #gift #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc



 Today's word is #reflection. The Advent season is a time for reflection. As you move through this pilgrimage journey of Advent, what are your reflections? What things have been stirring in your heart, mind, and soul? What comes to mind when you ponder the word "reflection"? #reflection #adventphot #advent2019 #saintelmoumc



Today's word is #reflection. The photo is from Cumberland State Park. Notice how still the water is and because of that, the reflection is clearly visible. When I slow down, I can reflect more clearly. This Advent season I need time to be still, to reflect, and to allow the Holy Spirit to lead me beside the calm waters. May it be so. #reflection #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc



Today's word is #freedom. How/Where are you experiencing freedom this Advent season? How/Where do you need to experience freedom? As you reflect on this word, what comes to mind? #freedom #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #freedom. I was trying to pair this picture with another one, but I may make two posts. I felt freedom as I glided through the air. It was one of my top life experiences. I chose the Isaiah verse to go with the photo.#freedom #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


My second #freedom post. Now it is evident why I wanted these two photos to go together. This depicts freedom. Fly like an eagle. #freedom #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #faithfulness. What comes to mind as your reflect on this word? How do you depict this word? #faithfulness #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #faithfulness. Cliff is a faithful companion to us. His love is faithful and unconditional. His faithfulness spurs me on to be a better person. #faithfulness #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #wonder. What fills you with wonder this Advent season? Have you made room for wonder this year? If not, how can you make some room in the remaining days of Advent for wonder? What comes to mind as you reflect on the word "wonder"? #wonder #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #wonder. Christmas trees cause me to wonder. As we decorated the other night, certain ornaments made me wonder how certain people were doing. I wondered about family as we put my Nana's bobby pin ribbons on the limbs. Her handwriting was in the box top for the ribbons. She had written a Hawaii address and a Colorado one. I recognized both and wondered about family. Thinking of Nana and family reminded me of Christmas times in Colorado when stringed popcorn was the garland. I can sit and stare at the lights for time on end, in wonder and awe. Advent season is a time of waiting, mystery, wonder, awe, all mixed together. We know, but we don't fully know. The here, but the not yet. I wonder as I wander. I wander as I wonder. I follow the light of the One who came and is coming. #wonder #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc

------------------------

Thanks for being part of my journey this Advent season, 

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment