Saturday, December 21, 2019

Advent 3 2019 photos and reflections

Advent week 3 is over. Tomorrow begins Advent 4.  It is almost Christmas and the Christmas season. Here is the compilation post of the Advent word for the day and my photos and reflections.  It was a harder week for me.  Even though "joy" was the theme, I resonated with the Isaiah passage from the lectionary (Isaiah 35:1-10) on Sunday in that there is joy on the journey through the wilderness.  You see, there HAS been joy this week on the journey, yet it hasn't always been a bubbly joy, as I shared in Sunday's sermon.  (You can click on the sermon title to listen to Sunday's sermon, "Rejoice With Joy").

The words for Advent 3 were: joy, grace, promise, hospitality, community, journey, mystery.


Today's word is #joy. What brings you joy? When you reflect on today's word, what comes to mind? On this third Sunday of Advent, how will joy be a part of your Advent journey? #joy #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


 This picture depicts #joy to me. Yesterday's rehearsal was full of singing and joy. When you live into who you are created to be, there is joy. It isn't always easy. Joy isn't always bubbly. There are ebbs and flows, times to wait, and times to let go. I am grateful for these months to journey with this one, for the support, for the opportunity. I look forward to tonight's Cantata. #joy #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #grace. How have you experienced grace this Advent season? Or, how/where do you need grace this Advent season? When you reflect on today's word, what comes to mind? #grace #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #grace. Hearts are a symbol of God's grace to me, reminding me that I am loved and beloved. Hearts have become a sacrament, a symbol, that I see in clouds, leaves, trees, food, coffee pods, rocks, etc. #seeaheartshareaheart is a hashtag I started using after reading the book. I get lots of cool hearts sent to me from folks. Once you start seeing them, you can't unsee them. This heart was sent to me today from my son Charlie. He saw it outside Publix in FL and sent it my way. Oh, the never ending grace revealed in love, symbolized by hearts. Grace definitely abounds and is helping this mama's heart be full. Thank you, Carlitos. #grace #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #promise. What promise are you holding to this Advent season? When you reflect on this word, what comes to mind? #promise #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Yesterday's word was #promise. When I was at the Cenacle Retreat center in Houston several years ago for a retreat on compassion, I was nudged outside during reflection time and saw this sign. As I hit my knees, my Creator assured me that I was going to be okay, that Charlie was going to be okay, that we were all going to be okay. The One who created me and created Charlie knew what I needed and promised me all would work out. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but the sign, literally, and that moment was significant. Yesterday, my Creator was faithful in reminding me of the promise that Charlie is going to be okay, that things will work out. I am grateful to a loving Creator who watches me, who carries me, who meets me where I am. #promise #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc
(To read about the sign and names, go here-https://alienadventurejourney.blogspot.com/…/thoughts-about…) 

Today's word is #hospitality. How do you show hospitality during the Advent season? What would be hospitality for you, if you were receiving? When you reflect on this word, what comes to mind? #hospitality #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #hospitality. Last night, this group of folks (plus others who came after the photo) served dinner at the CEMPA Christmas party. It was a fun-filled and joyous time with music, singing, dancing, conversations, photos with Santa, etc. The hospitality of these folks and the entire CEMPA team made last night a success. Hospitality, for me, is opening up space to allow another to be themselves, to create a space of grace that allows the transformational aspects of love and acceptance to exist. #hospitality #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #community. We live in communities. We may work in a different community. We may worship in yet another community. We may refer to a group as a community. What do you think about when you hear the word "community"? Who are the people with whom you have things IN COMMON? How do you depict the word "community" in art or a photo? #community #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


 Today's word is #community. This sign expresses how to effectively live in community for me. We may not always have things in common, but we can respect one another. #community #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #journey. The season of Advent is a journey, a pilgrimage that takes us to the Christ child. What has this journey meant for you this year? How has it been different from other Advents in the past? As you reflect on today's word, what comes to mind? #journey #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #journey. At the end of this day, I reflected on the importance of the journey inward and the journey outward. I heard a song on the radio by R.Carlos Nakai on a native American flute, "Inward Journey". I read a book by Elizabeth O'Connor in 2013. Thoughts from that book are here: http://alienadventurejourney.blogspot.com/2013/02/journey-inward-journey-outward-by.html?m=1. The Advent journey continues. There is waiting, darkness, mystery. There is also peace, hope, joy. The photo is the view leaving the neighborhood tonight. I stopped and soaked in the sight. May the remainder of the Advent journey provide a space of grace to focus on the coming of the Christ child. #journey #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #mystery. How does "mystery" play a role in your Advent and/or your faith journey? What comes to mind when you reflect on this word? How do you respond to mystery? How do you depict this word? #mystery #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #mystery. There is much I don't understand about the Creator. However, I can live into the mystery and trust the One who created me. God with us, Emmanuel. "Father, son, and Holy Spirit mean that the mystery beyond us, the mystery among us, and the mystery within us are all the same mystery." - Frederick Buechner #mystery #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc

May the light and love of the Christ child that has come, that is coming, and that is among us even now continue to grow brighter and stronger every day.

Shalom on the journey, 

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment