Saturday, April 30, 2022

A Walk Around the Avondale Lake (aka the "duck pond")

I grew up spending lots of time in Avondale Estates in Georgia because that's where my grandmother Meemo lived in her 1940s home. My mom and my aunt were raise there and both of them graduated from Avondale High School.

When I visited Meemo, we would either walk the short distance from her home on Kensington Road to the lake/pond or we might drive there if we were already "out and about". 

My memories of that place were that it was always a peaceful place to visit. I remembered the swings, the ducks, the turtles. 

My aunt got married there in the 70s.

Yesterday I wanted to visit before leaving town from my week long CEU (continuing education) course in Spiritual Direction at Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur, GA.

I got there, parked, got out and took a deep breath in. There were people sitting on the benches and walking with their dogs. The sun was out and there was a nice breeze.

I began my walk, slowly around the water. The path is crushed gravel these days, with paving stones to mark the path. As I began my walk, I noticed a fish at the edge of the water and a couple of turtles. I would see many more turtles on the edges.

The path offered both shade and sun.

More than that, it offered me the opportunity to give thanks for the many times I had been there before, to reflect on memories with my grandmother and my aunt's wedding (okay-- all I really remember is picking up plastic champagne corks with my younger aunt-- we had fun with that). 

As I slowly walked around the water, I allowed memories and a week full of learning and experiences to settle into my heart, mind, soul, and body.

As I came to the first swing on the right, it struck me that these swings were still there. Oh, my. I remembered these swings. Then, I noticed that the small child being held was waving at me. I stopped and waved back. The woman said to the child in English first-- say hello. Then in Spanish, the same. So I asked if the child spoke Spanish (in Spanish). What followed was a lovely (for me) conversation in Spanish with the woman about the pond and how I learned Spanish and other things. I got to speak my 2nd language, my heart language. She told me she is there daily. I told her that I live out of town, but I had come to remember. I spoke with the child too, smiling and gesturing and speaking Spanish and English. This 10 month old is bilingual, as is her sibling. I walked away from this conversation fuller than I was when I began my walk, which was very full.

As I continued my walk, there were flowers and turtles. I saw a woman fishing at the "top" of the path. As I came around the other side, a gentleman was swinging in another of the swings, taking a break from his bike ride. Just beyond him was a woman with a dog sitting on a bench. As I approached them, the dog started coming toward me to be petted or to get attention, it seemed. Since I wasn't sure, I hesitated. Then the woman asked if I would please pet her dog because otherwise he would be upset that he was ignored. He was a puppy with gorgeous blue eyes. I stopped to give the dog attention, knowing that Cliff might smell another dog on me when I got home and think I had dog-cheated on him. I spoke with this woman briefly about the pond, dogs, and seminary. It was a good conversation. As I left that conversation, I walked away once again fuller.

I was struck how peaceful and calm I was, how beautiful the day and conversations were. My week in spiritual direction had really drawn me nearer to the heart of God and work had been done in me.

As I finished up my walk, I came upon the third swing. I sat in it for a few moments, swinging, remembering, resting. I knew the next leg of the journey would entail traffic. I wanted to savor the peaceful and calm atmosphere of the environment at the lake/pond.

I took a moment to offer thanks for the place, for the experience, and for all the memories.

I offered thanks for my previous visit to Avondale during the week, as I had the joy and pleasure of having dinner Wednesday evening with a camp friend and her family and got to just hang out in Avondale with them in their home. 

Being back in Avondale Estates, even just briefly, was a gift for me. 

I took quite a few pictures during my walk. I made a TikTok "video" of the walk. I will share both the photos and the "video" for you, in case you would like to enjoy the nature too.

Nature, as I have mentioned many times, is my go-to for spiritual connection with the Creator. It soothes my soul, it opens up space for me to listen, to hear, to respond, etc.

Interestingly, so does antiquated spaces, such as cathedrals and stained glass windows. That might not surprise you (or me) once you (and I) realize that I am a both/and person. I've been living into the both/and for many years. I am getting more adept to holding the paradoxical tension of the two spaces, no matter what those "both" / "and" things might be. Better, mind you; not perfected. There is always room for learning and for growth.

The journey continues to be an adventure.

Rev. Deb































3 comments:

  1. When you said, "I live out of town," I thought you no longer lived in Holston. Then I saw the small print on the sign to know where you meant (I found that town name in at least two states). Place names are too similar from place to place, like the Avondale neighborhood in your current town. Whew! I miss you. We should visit by phone one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I thought I was commenting through Google, but I guess not. I have no need to delete the comment, but you'd have a hard time chatting on the phone without knowing who this is: Bonnie Jacobs

      Delete
    2. Hey, Bonnie! Yes, I guess that can be confusing. I will add "Georgia". I was at Columbia Theological Seminary for a week's residency. Nope, not moving out of Holston. However, I am taking a voluntary family leave of absence this year. Yes, let's catch up. Sending love.

      Delete