Monday, April 25, 2022

Psalm 111-- giving thanks for new life

stained glass windows in the chapel of Harrington Center

a tiny "heart" in the concrete on the patio of Harrington Center

I was texting a friend yesterday and was offering a resource on the Psalms that has become dear to me: Psalms for Praying by Nan Merrill.

I wanted to give this person an example of how these readings of the Psalms creates a renewed space for me.

Randomly, I opened the book and Psalm 111 stood out to me.  I had underlined these words: "Your steadfast Love is food for the soul, nourishment in times of fear."  Ah, God's love, God's steadfast love is food for the soul. Yes.

I took pictures of the book and sent them, encouraging my friend to "chew on it", to read it slowly a couple times through and think through these questions: What grabs you? What stays with you? How does it speak to you? What is it calling you toward?  I think suggested that my friend rest in these thoughts and then read it another time through slowly. Afterwards, conclude by giving thanks to God for the time spent together. (Or anything else that came up.)

The reading, the questions and the resting are a way way to practice 'sacred reading' or lectio divina. 

Sometimes I get caught up in the logistics of a practice that I fail to gain the intent of the practice, which is always to draw me closer, nearer to the heart of God. Somehow, explaining lectio divina in the way that I did for my friend above was a simpler way for me and it cut out the steps I have read and practiced before and seemed more organic to me.

I looked up Psalm 111 on line

Praise the Beloved, O my soul!
I will give thanks to You with
		my whole heart,
	to all who will listen, I will
		tell of your goodness.
Wondrous is Creation, Great Builder;
	I take pleasure in pondering
		your Work.
Full of honor and integrity are
		your teachings;
	those who follow them will
		find new life.
You lift the hearts of those who
		suffer;
	You come to them in their need.
Your steadfast Love is food for
		the soul,
	nourishment in times of fear.
You are ever-mindful of your
		covenant,
	a very Presence to the weary
		and afflicted.
Your Voice is truth to those with
		ears to hear,
	your precepts are sure;
Written on the hearts of your
		people, they are
	to be lived forever with
	faith-filled love and assurance.
You bring new life to the world;
Yes! life in abundance is your
		gift to us.
	Holy and glorious is your Name!
Reverence for You, O Holy One, is the
		beginning of wisdom;
	a good understanding have all
		who practice it.
	Your Spirit endures for ever!

------------------------------------------------------------------

I invite you to read through the Psalm several times slowly.

Chew on it.

What grabs you? What stays with you? How does it speak to you? What is it calling you toward?

Read it again through one more time slowly.

Offer up a prayer of thanksgiving for whatever things you got out of it and for your time with God, Creator, the Great Spirit, etc. (whatever name you use).

As I take my time this evening, spending time with this Psalm, here is what stands out to me:

  • new life
  • lift the hearts of those who suffer
  • your steadfast Love is food for the soul
  • new life (hmmm... what does that say that it stood out to me 2x?)
  • life in abundance
  • a very Presence to the weary
As I read through this Psalm, it is a breath of fresh air and renewal for me, it is life-giving. I give thanks to the Creator, the One who knows me best and for these words of new life and life in abundance.

If you'd like to share your reflections from the Psalm in the comments, I invite you to do so.

Continuing on this adventurous journey, 

Rev. Deb


Photos are mine. Columbia Theological Seminary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment