Thursday, February 23, 2023

First day of Lent-- Labyrinth and Ashes

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. I have felt that praying the labyrinth will be my Lenten practice this year. Thiugh I don't know how often I will do it, I think I will at least be able to walk and pray once weekly. 

Before our Ash Wednesday service I took some time for walking/praying.

Here are my reflections and photos from that:

Labyrinth on the first day of Lent.
I entered this circle not knowing what to pray. I simply want to be open to the love of God. It is love that enters my mind-- love of God and love for others. I offer thanks. As I enter the center, the carillon bells of the church begin to ring. I sit. They stop playing too soon. I  rise to take with me the music, the breezes, the blowing branches and moving clouds. May I hear deep within the Voice of Love.
Breathing in and breathing out.
@burksumc_hixson
#labyrinth



There were some things that caught my attention from Pastor Tony during his homily at the service. 

These are the words and phrases that stuck most with me:

  • Be still and trust.
  • What Lent is about.
  • Let God take away the pain and bind up the wounds.
  • A different kind of Lent-- keep trying. Don't give up.
  • Colossians 3:12
  • Take on the work of God. 

A photo of the ashes:

A photo of the ashes on my forehead:

It is different not doing a service and simply being there, participating. It is part of the time I am in. I trust it. I trust God. I know I am where I am supposed to be for this time.

Today I had the privilege of going with my parents to my dad's best friend's celebration of life in Dalton. They grew up together,  went to high school and  played football together, and went to West Georgia together. Our families grew up together, my brothers being closer in age to the kids than I was. But we all took trips together from time to time. I last heard dad's friend on the phone a few weeks back. Today's pictures showed his infectious smile. He will be missed. By many. The church was packed out. 

It is for these special times and others that I know I am right where I am supposed to be.

The Lenten journey toward the cross has begun. I look forward to what my reflections might teach me these 40 days.

Peace, 

Rev. Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment