Friday, February 17, 2023

Journey to the Center-- labyrinth time

This past Monday I felt compelled to visit a nearby labyrinth on my way to work in Dalton, GA. The morning air was cool and crisp and the ground was frosty and crunchy.

Walking and praying a labyrinth has been part of my spiritual practices for a while now, but I don't do it regularly. I am considering it as a regular Lenten practice this year, though I don't know how often I can commit to it. We'll see.

This time in the labyrinth I felt and heard the crunch of the mulch beneath me. I heard the songs of birds surrounding me in nearby trees, though I didn't really see many of them.

My custom is to take a moment before entering the labyrinth, taking a moment of stillness and offering the time to Creator. Then I began the journey and offer whatever names and situations come to mind as I walk the journey in, offering them in prayer to Creator. When I get to the center, I stop. I rest. I listen. In this labyrinth, there are three benches in the center for just that-- stopping and resting. 

When I begin my journey out, I offer whatever names and situations that come to mind in thankfulness and praise to Creator. 

As I reach the end, I step out and take a moment of stillness, giving thanks for the time with Creator.

Though I may not know 100% what has transpired within me during this time, it is more than not a time of calming, strengthening, renewing, and centering for me. 

I am grateful to have this labyrinth so close to where I live and grateful that I listened to the "nudge" on Monday.

I posted this on my social media while I was in the center:

"Come with me to the center. Join me at the labyrinth and walk/pray with me. Your burdens and joys are likely different from mine, yet we can offer them here. We can listen to the birds sing and hear the crunch of our feet on the frosty mulch. Breathing in and breathing out. (The video is about 5 1/2 minutes. It only contains the journey in.) #labyrinth #spiritualpractice @burksumc_hixson"

Here are photos and the video from the labyrinth:








Peace on the adventurous journey, 


Rev. Deb

2 comments:

  1. Been there, done that, probably sat on the same bench: http://bookbuddies3.blogspot.com/2012/10/another-labyrinth.html

    Labyrinths on my book blog, in the Chattanooga area and in the St. Louis area: https://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=labyrinth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bonnie! I am glad we have shared labyrinth spaces, though in different times. I wish there were more of them. I mow one from time to time in the yard-- either in the grass or the leaves. :)

    ReplyDelete