Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Lectio divina....spiritual reading.

Lectio divina is the Latin term for "spiritual reading", "divine reading", "holy reading".  Lectio divina is a spiritual practice that will help one slow things down and focus, contemplate, reflect.  It is a way of prayer.

Lectio divina works like this:  you take a passage and read it slowly, paying attention to the words and phrases that stick out to you at the time.  Re-read the passage another time or two, allowing the passage to speak to you.   Spend some time reflecting on what you've gotten from the passage. 

WARNING!  This type of reading is habit forming!  I have read in places that anything can become spiritual reading when read intentionally in this way.  I would agree, from experience.  Though I read Scripture in this method, I also read books in this way.  Not all the time, mind you...... But, it has become a default, underlying current, style of reading. 

I will explain.  You may have noticed.   There are at least two blog entries in which I've quoted a passage from an author and then I've gone back and shared the words that stood out to me.  Then, I've reflected on those words.  That's lectio divina, spiritual reading. 

I realized yesterday (with the help of an "intervention" by some friends) that I am in constant "think-mode" when I read.  Even when I read fiction.  Seriously.  If it's my copy of the book, I'm known to take notes and underline.  If it's not, watch out for lots of yellow sticky notes or brightly colored sticky flags.   I think part of my "problem" is that I have developed the practice of reading in the style of lectio divina.  The other side of that coin is that I rarely choose non-thinking material to read. 

Have you tried lectio divina as a way to change up your study time?  I encourage you to try it.  I realize that my amateur explanations of this spiritual practice may not be enough for you to get into the practice, so I am going to include some additional resources for you.

A book I've mentioned before, Sacred Rhythms: Arranging our Lives For Spiritual Transformation by Ruth Haley Barton, has a chapter on lectio divina, Chapter 3: "Encountering God Through Lectio Divina".

Another book I've mentioned before, Soulfeast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life by Marjorie Thompson, also has a chapter, Chapter 2: "Chewing the Bread of the Word: The Nature and Practice of Spiritual Reading".

Weavings has an online guide "On Spiritual Reading" you can print out.  It is intended to be used with the Weavings articles, but gives a good overview of spiritual reading as well.  http://www.weavings.org/ (Click on "Reading Groups" and then scroll down and find "On Spiritual Reading".  Click and read and/or print.)

Here is a link to the Upper Room: http://www.upperroom.org/methodx/thelife/prayermethods/lectio.asp.  Here you can read a little about lectio divina and then try it.  Just follow the instructions for the next steps.

This is just the tip of the tip of the iceberg on the topic.  If this is new to you, maybe you can post what you read and your reflections...... If this isn't new to you, post your experiences and/or some other resources you've found along the way.

As we continue the journey, I wish you all "happy reading"!  As for me, I'm going to attempt to NOT read something with spiritual reading eyes.  (I've been told that if I do and if I take notes or even reflect on this one, I have to share....)

You might be wondering what I'll be reading..... Sisterchicks in Sombreros by Robin Jones Gunn.  I hope I'll be able to read this like a "normal" person. :)


May there be joy in your journey today!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment