Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A gorgeous moon.... a cool breeze... some thoughts about peace and strength



What a beautiful morning this morning!  Yesterday was too, in fact.  I enjoy the cooler mornings, the crisp breezes.  I like being able to open up the doors and windows in my home and let the morning air come flowing through! 

This morning, in addition to the nice breeze, the moon was hovering over some wispy clouds.  As my daughter was waiting for the bus, she pointed that out to me and I grabbed a couple of shots with the camera.  In positioning myself to get a better angle, I found one shot of the moon through a picture frame of tree branches and leaves.  The moon, the cool breezes, listening to my water fountain trickling on the back patio... ah!  These are things that help calm my mind and soul.

Then I picked up Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence by Sarah Young and read this for today (8/16/11): "Meet Me in early morning splendor.  I eagerly await you here.  In the stillness of this holy time with Me, I renew your strength and saturate you with Peace."  Ahhhh!  (That's a relaxing "Ahhhh!")  Stillness, renewed strength, peace.  I need those three things today.  If only I can be still long enough to receive that strength and saturated peace. ☺

I went next to A Guide To Prayer For Ministers and Other Servants, published by the Upper Room.  Admittedly, I sometimes get confused about what week I'm supposed to be on, especially when Sundays fall on the first day of the week.  But, I'm going with the week of "Sunday between August 21 and August 27" because this upcoming Sunday is the 21st and I want to end on that Sunday.  You're probably supposed to begin on that day.  Oh, well.  I'm probably getting all the wrong teachings. ☺

The Invocation for the week: "Almighty God, as you have sent Jesus to be for us light and truth, send now your spirit upon us to grant us grace and strength to follow in his footsteps this day.  Amen." (p.266)

The Psalm for the week is Psalm 18.  Verses 1-3 speak to me this morning: (NRSV) "I love you, O LORD, my strength.  The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, so I shall be saved from my enemies."

The suggested hymn is "Jesus, Lover of My Soul".  Now, the hymn is a Charles Wesley hymn and is good.  However, I like the praise chorus that I first heard at a Women's Retreat two summers ago.  And, I heard it on the radio yesterday.  It's a praise chorus by Hillsong. (Darlene Zschech also sings it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk3aPIOHc-g&feature=related (Link to song, with Spanish lyrics in the comment area)

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=YYGDWNNX (Link with Darlene Zschech singing)

The lyrics are:

Jesus, Lover of my soul,
Jesus, I will never let you go
You’ve taken me from the miry clay
You've set my feet upon the Rock, and now i know

I love you, I need you,
Though my world may fall, I’ll never let you go
My Saviour, my closest friend,
I will worship you until the very end

Benediction: "You have been reminded that Jesus Christ is your Lord and you are God's servant.  You are loved; you are forgiven; you are empowered and now you are sent to live as God's faithful one.  Amen." (A Guide to Prayer, p. 266)

Blessings on your journey this day!  May there be stillness, strength, peace, renewal... whatever is needed.

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment