Thursday, December 1, 2011

Journey to the Manger... it begins today

The season of Advent officially began this past Sunday.  It's preparation time for the coming of the Christ child.  Now, I realize that there is much discussion in some circles concerning when the birth actually took place, why Christians would choose to celebrate it during a formally pagan celebration time, etc.  However, to me, it isn't the when that matters.  To me, it's important to celebrate the birth of Christ yearly and to reflect on who Christ is and what Christ means to me.  Just as I celebrate the birthdays of friends and family (if and when I remember--thank goodness for calendars and FaceBook reminders!).  As I think of my friends and family and who they are in my life and what they mean to me, so I am able to do with Christ.

As we journey onward in the Advent season, what are your traditions for celebration and remembering?  Advent candles and/or advent wreaths?  Chrismon trees? (trees decorated with church symbols such as doves, the Chi-Rho, star of David, butterfly, Alpha, Omega, anchored cross, Ichthys (fish symbol), etc. 

[For more on Chrismon trees and their history, go to: http://www.chrismon.org/site/chrismon/about.htm.  I learned quite a bit about the Chrismon tree!  The founder of this tree (Frances Kipps Spencer) died locally on Signal Mountain, TN.  Here is a link with pictures of various Chrismons: http://www.umcs.org/chrismons/.]

You may celebrate the Advent season with special devotionals, with traditions from other religions, etc.  However you choose to celebrate this season, it is a time of reflection and preparation.
A new resource for the season of Advent for children is "Journey to the Manger" written and illustrated by two members of my home church, Burks UMC in Hixson, TN.  Starting today, December 1st, the child has an activity, a Scripture verse, and space to write or draw (depending on age) their feelings, reflections, and experiences from that activity and Scripture.  It is a great way for the parent and child to spend time together daily.  I would argue that this is a great resource for children of all ages. ☺


Day 1 says "Straighten your room." and has the verse Colossians 3:23 which says: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for people." (Good News Translation)

That is something I could put into practice! (Both the activity and the attitude expressed!)
There are tiny footprints on each page, walking in the sand each day, all the way to the manger. 


I'm pretty taken with this resource!  I wish someone from Abingdon Press or The Upper Room would contact these ladies and mass-produce it! 

But, let me come back to the journey..... the true journey.... preparing our hearts, minds, and souls for the birth of the Christ child. 

How are you preparing this Advent season?  Whatever you do, take time to reflect on who the Christ child is to you and what the Christ child means and has meant in your life.
Advent blessings,

~Debra

1 comment:

  1. I tried to find something like this last year for my grandchildren and couldn't. joy

    ReplyDelete