Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Moulting... shedding the old skin


This is a picture of a snake skin that my daughter is proudly and excitedly holding.  One of my former pastors and friends (though not "former" in that respect ☺) would call us when she found "cool" things in her yard that Charlotte might like.  A snake skin and a baby turtle were two of those finds.  Her home was situated near the lake and she got cool nature visitors like that.   This was a couple of years back (probably more like 3-4) when my daughter was in elementary school.  But, I don't have many pictures of snake skins in my picture albums.  And I needed one for this post.

A snake skin picture?  For a blog post?  Really?!?!  Yep!  Didn't you see my title?!?  "Moulting... shedding the old skin"

This is a topic I've been thinking about recently.  Not snakes or their skins or even moulting, but rather the process of shedding the old skin.  And though I could continue with the analogy of pruning or even use the change analogy of the cocoon (also a moulting process), there is something in particular to this moulting process of shedding the skin that not only intrigues me, but fits as I reflect on my life.

The process of moulting.  [First, let me note that in my undergraduate days in college I studied geology.  I am not an expert on this matter, but have looked briefly into it.]

Moulting can also be spelled molting.  It is "the process of shedding an external skeleton for the purpose of growth or change in shape" (Encyclopedia Britannica on molt)

As a snake outgrows its skin, it grows a new one.  But since it no longer fits in its old skin, the snake must discard its old skin in order to live into the new one that is underneath.

Though we don't take the time to think about it (because it happens differently for us as humans), our skin is constantly shedding (flaking off) and renewing too.  We're not necessarily outgrowing our old skin as is a snake or a turtle (shell), but we are being renewed.

And, it is that renewing process that has caused me to ponder and reflect.

Just as our bodies are renewed, our minds and our souls go through renewals as we learn, grow, and change.

More than likely, we are not in the same place emotionally, relationally, or spiritually that we were ten, twenty, or thirty years ago.  Hopefully we have taken opportunities to learn, grow, and change over those years and we're in a different place.  Hopefully we've learned and are in a deeper state of maturity in those areas than we once were.  Yet, realistically, there will always be learning, growing, and changing in our lives.

How or why did I even get on this thought pattern of a snake wriggling its way out of its old skin?

Because I have felt like I have been going through a change process, once again.  And, there have been times when I feel like I'm squirming along on the hard surface simply attempting to break free of the old skin.  I can't always even name it, the changes I sense in my heart, mind, and soul.  But, they are there. 

I found this article about snakes shedding their skin from "wise Geek": (I have included a small portion.)

"The shed skins of snakes often arouse curiosity among those who find them, but in actual fact, all animals shed their skins. This is not obvious in mammals such as humans, as it is an ongoing, unnoticed, process in which dead cells are continuously coming off. Reptiles, however, are different in that they shed periodically, and in the case of snakes, the entire skin normally comes off in one piece, a procedure that can be likened to removing a sock. This shedding is not without purpose: snakes replace their skins to allow for growth, as well as to remove parasites along with the old skin.
 
As a snake grows, its skin becomes stretched and worn. A point is reached when it cannot accommodate further growth, so a new skin grows underneath. When this is complete, the old skin will be discarded, along with any parasites it may have picked up. The new skin retains the same patterns and colors as the old. 
Mechanism
Prior to shedding, a snake’s skin becomes pale and dull, and the eyes turn a bluish-white shade. This is due to a layer of fluid building up between the old skin and the new one underneath. During this period, captive snakes may be nervous and irritable, possibly because they cannot see properly until the old skin becomes detached from the head. They will not normally eat in the days leading up to shedding and will tend to hide, as they are vulnerable at this time."

 
Like the snake's irritability during a period prior to shedding, I can become irritable when I'm going through spiritual change and/or my life is spiritually out of balance.  I know that the analogy really can't be taken too far.... my spiritual skin doesn't come off in one piece as I grow.  Nor can I sew my shadow back on if I lose it (sorry to mix analogies, but Peter Pan and his shadow just jump right in here too for some reason ☺). 

The bottom line is that change is inevitable.  I'm either going to grow or grow stagnant.

I prefer to grow by shedding the old skin and learning to live into the new skin. 

Learning, growing, changing.... being open to learning, growing, changing.... it isn't easy.

But, that's where grace, wonderful grace comes in.  It flows in.  It fills in the gaps and helps me through the processes of learning, growing, and changing.  Good thing!

If you see me squirming around and irritable, it might simply be that my old skin has gotten too tight and I've outgrown it and it is time for me to shed the old skin and live into the new skin underneath. 

This analogy may not work for you, but it came to my mind and caught my attention.  I sometimes have odd thoughts relating to spiritual growth and how it works in my life.

Find another analogy that works for you.  The main point is to keep growing, keep learning, and may grace be a part of the process!

Blessings on your journey!

Debra

PS-- If you've never seen a snake shed its skin, check out this video on You tube here.








No comments:

Post a Comment