Sunday, December 1, 2013

Anticipation.... is making me wait.

Anticipation.

The Advent season.

Yes, as I reflected on the word "anticipation", the first thing that came to mind were the ketchup commercials from my childhood.


Do you know the ones?  The glass bottle is held over the food and the red condiment is ever so slowly making its way onto the food.  The song "Anticipation" by Carly Simon is being sung in the background.  Here is one such commercial from the 1970s:


Carly Simon 1971 album "Anticipation":


Anticipation.

Yes, the Advent season is full of anticipation. 

You may not be a ketchup eater.  You may not be able to relate to the anticipation brought to my mind from the past of the ketchup slowly making its way out of the glass bottle to the food while those wanting to eat waited and waited. 

You may not have experienced this waiting with ketchup.  You may not even like ketchup.

It was worth the wait.  Not just because the commercial said so, but because it was good.

But, what does ketchup have to do with Advent you ask?  It's all about the waiting.  Advent is the season of waiting, of preparation, of anticipation.... for the coming of the Christ child.   It's a time to slow down, to reflect, to not hurry through. 

If ketchup is worth waiting for, then imagine waiting during Advent and what that is worth.

Anticipation.

Blessings on your journey through this Advent season,

Debra

 
"Gracious God, I put myself before you in this moment with waiting heart, expectant desire.  Open my eyes that I may see your promise fulfilled; open my ears that I may hear your word whispered to my deepest being.  Amen." (A Guide to Prayer For All God's People, First Sunday in Advent, page 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment