Thursday, August 14, 2014

Carving out time for the soul... silence and unexpected blessings

I don't know what you do on your journey for soul time, but one of the things I enjoy is being able to worship in community within a context that allows for reflection and silence.  Now, don't hear that statement wrong... I also enjoy worship filled with song, dance, movement, etc.  The thing is, I get lots of that... every Sunday during the 2nd worship time at my local church.  During the first worship service I get song, liturgy, and sometimes some silence.  Yet, what my soul craves at times is worship in community in which I can get longer periods of silence, experience other types of music and liturgy, etc.

St. Mark's Northshore has offered Taizé services in the past, as have some other churches in the Chattanooga area. 

Last year, Hixson United Methodist Church started offering Mid-Week Vespers on Wednesday nights.  About the time I learned about it, they took a summer break.  They started back last night.  Because I don't have a Wednesday night commitment at my local church (other than taxi my kid and her friends there), I decided to do the connectional thing and head over to Hixson UMC for their Vespers service last night.

I had contacted the person in charge of the leading the Vesper service in advance, Jim Lewis, to let him know of my interest and my plan to attend.  He had asked if I had access to A Guide to Prayer For All Who Seek God from the Upper Room and if I would be willing to read a short selection by Rueben Job on pages 305-306.  My answers?  Yes and yes.  ☺

Prior to going, I checked out the Hixson UMC website to learn a little more about their Vespers service and found a YouTube video of one of the types of Vesper services there that they use on Wednesday nights, a Holden Evening Prayer liturgy written by Marty Haugen.

Last night's service followed that particular liturgy, though I learned that they rotate between that liturgy, a Taizé service, and two other worship styles. 

[Holden Evening Prayer at St. Olaf College, June 1, 2013]

[Some of the Holden Evening Prayer pages found here on pages 5-16]

The Vespers service is held in the original sanctuary, providing an intimate environment for worship.  There was a station set up to light a candle for someone in prayer and candles through out.   Musicians played a piano, a guitar, and a violin.   There was singing, Scripture, reading, response, prayers, silence.  It was a time to enter the space and allow the soul to catch up with the body. 

It was prayerful, simple, worshipful, peaceful, beautiful.  It allowed space to hear, to reflect, to rest, for the soul to open.

They will be using A Guide to Prayer For All Who Seek God for the Scripture and meditations for these Vesper services.  

My soul was grateful for the service and for the opportunity to participate. 

Though I was unable to stay for the fellowship and coffee time afterwards, I did make it to the communion time prior (6:10).  The table was set with a pitcher, two chalices, and two plates.  One plate held gluten free wafers and the other held picture-perfect challah bread.  I was tempted to take a picture, but didn't.  (But, in case you don't know what it looks like, here is a picture.)

 
The pastor, Reverend Reed Shell, shared a short meditation and prepared the elements.  Then, to my surprise, he invited me, the visitor, to assist in communion.  It was an unexpected blessing for me in the moment.  To help serve communion was a blessing that could be unfolded in many ways and take quite a while.  I will simply share the top two things that come to mind.... It was a blessing because it was Hixson UMC.  I realize that may not mean much to some people.  But, for me that means quite a bit if you go back on my journey.  It was also a blessing this week after having been recommended to move forward on my journey toward Provisional Elder.
 
Thank you Reed and Jim for asking me to serve and to share in this connectional community of worship and leadership. 
 
On my way home from the Vespers service, I saw a glorious scene in the sky, another unexpected blessing.  This one from the Almighty Artist of the Universe, the glorious Creator.  Thanks for shining the light through the clouds, for making a way when there doesn't always seem to be one evident to me, and for guiding me with Your light!
 
 
May there be time for your soul, silence, and unexpected blessings on your journey,
 
Debra
 
P.S.  If you live in the Chattanooga area, I would encourage you and invite you to the Hixson UMC mid-week Vespers service. 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment