Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Living in union with God...silence and being still in God's presence


This morning's reading from Jesus Calling (September 16) by Sarah Young is a wonderful reminder of 'who' and 'whose' I am.  Here are some of the words I read in my devotional time: "I designed you to live in union with me.  This union does not negate who you are; it actually makes you more fully yourself."

More fully me.  More the me that God created me to be.  The more time I spend with the Creator God, the more I become more fully me.  That's such a little thing, yet such a big thing.  If I am truly desiring to live more like the example modeled for me, why don't I "simply" spend time with my Creator?!?!?!

"Be still and know that I am God"-- Psalm 46:10.  That has been a life verse for many years now.  A verse that I have been trying to live into and have been able to live into some, here and there.  Currently, I am attempting to incorporate silence into my life daily.  Not "quiet" time, but silence.  I could have quiet time 24/7, where I read and read and read.  Silence time is that "sitting time" with God, where you just sit.  You don't read, you don't think, you simply are.  "Be still."  In those times of being still, you are in God's presence, with God, resting in God's presence.

As I have been working on my daily stillness journey, I have found it much more challenging than when I go to centering prayer and enter the silence for 30 minutes.  Not that one is supposed to judge one's self as they attempt this or grow in this, but sometimes even the 10 minutes of silence that I attempt in silence seems like an eternity.... or it is met by so much resistance, internally or externally.

But because I know the importance of being still and knowing God my creator, I press on.  I press on to make that space to simply "be" with God, to rest in God's presence, to be with God.

Further along in today's Jesus Calling devotion: "Find fulfillment through living close to Me, yielding to My purposes for you.  Though I may lead you along paths that feel alien to you, trust that I know what I am doing.  If you follow Me wholeheartedly, you will discover facets of yourself that were previously hidden.  I know you intimately--far better than you know yourself."

Spending time in silence (and solitude) allows me that listening time with God the Creator who knows me best.  It allows me that space to make room for God to work in me.

I have finally picked back up Ruth Haley Barton's book, Invitation to Solitude and Silence, that I had started several years ago.  This book (and a Clergy Vitality group using the book) is helping me get into a daily practice while I am still trying to make it to the weekly Centering Prayer group.

The song "The Summons" by John Bell sums up the relationship call and answer between us and God.  We sang it this past Sunday at one of the three churches.  It always blesses, encourages, and challenges me when I hear it.

Here are the lyrics:


verse 1--Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?  Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?  Will you let my love be shown, will you let my name be known, will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?

verse 2-- Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?  Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?  Will you risk the hostile stare should your life attract or scare?  Will you let me answer prayer in you and you in me?

verse 3--Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?  Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?  Will you kiss the leper clean, and do such as this unseen, and admit to what I mean in you and you in me?

verse 4--Will you love the "you" you hide if I but call your name?  Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?  Will you use the faith you've found to reshape the world around, through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?

verse 5--Lord, your summons echoes true when you but call my name.  Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.  In your company I'll go where your love and footsteps show.  Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me.


-------------------------------


I know that God continues to call my name.  God designed me and continues to draw me into relationship.  As I answer that call, I become more fully who I was created to be.  I find myself playing the Native American flute, making tie-dye shirts, going into all kinds of areas of God's kingdom to show the light and love of God.... because I do trust my Creator and I will follow those footsteps.

How about you?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment