Friday, January 29, 2016

Detours...unexpected blessings

Today is a gorgeous Friday.  Clear blue skies.  It's even going to warm up here in TN some. 

Last Friday was a different story.  It was raining.  There was a wintry storm heading our way.  It was cold.  In fact, there was SNOW in the forecast.  That's not so bad.  But, I was preparing to head out of town for a youth event in Pigeon Forge, Resurrection.

After a meeting at the high school for my kiddo, I went back home to get ready for the trip.  Then I headed out toward Rossville, GA where I planned to work for a little while before getting the van at the rental location.  My first stop was going to be the pharmacy to get a prescription and say hi/bye to my favorite pharmacist.

As I was cresting Boy Scout Road in the cold rain, I noticed someone walking on the left side of the road.  Something told me to slow down and offer them a ride, so I did.  When I offered, she accepted.  I asked where she was heading and she asked where I was going.  I told her I was going to Food City and then to Rossville, GA.  At first she said that was good enough.  I asked again where she needed to go.  She told me that she lived in the highway 58/Washington Hills area.  I told her I could go that way and still make my way to Rossville, GA.  Would that be a detour on my route?  Yes, but nobody needed to be walking in that cold and rainy weather.  The wintry mix could start anytime.  The local school system had just called to let us all know that schools would be letting out early that day.

Together we went to the pharmacy to get my prescription.  I learned that she had taken a taxi to the Hixson area to visit a cousin in order to get some funds to help buy diapers for her little one and didn't want to pay the taxi fare to get back home.  I couldn't blame her.  She could buy quite a few diapers for the taxi fare. 

My new friend is studying vet medicine at Chattanooga State while raising her little one.  She works too.   Life isn't easy, but she is doing the best she can.  We talked some about life and such in our short commute.  I told her about two churches in her area of town, St. John UMC and Washington Hills UMC.  I told her if she needed anything, to go to either one of them.  I also gave her my card and asked her to let me know how things are going for her in school, etc. 

When we got to her house, I asked if I could pray for her and she said yes.
 
What an encouraging detour to my day.  It was a blessing to help someone stay warm and dry on such a cold and wet day.  It was a blessing to meet someone who loves animals and is working her way through school.

My thoughts and prayers are with my friend "T" as she studies, works, and raises her son. 

One never knows what adventures await us when the Holy Spirit nudges us to "stop", do we?!?!

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

2 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, thank you for your faithful readership. Truly, I never ceased to be amazed by God and the opportunities in our daily lives to share love in God's kingdom.

      Delete