Sunday, January 29, 2017

Blessed are...

bulletin cover

Today I used the Matthew 5:1-12 passage from the lectionary, the beatitudes.  One of the songs that was used in the service was a new one for me.  It reminded us to be salt (shake, shake, shake) and light (shine, shine, shine) and used terminology such as "bullied" rather than "persecuted".  It was a fun song, with a catchy tune and an important message.  Check it out below:



The lyrics:

Verse 1 Blessed are the poor in spirit Those who see the sin in their hearts Blessed are the ones who are weeping Cause sin has torn the whole world apart

Verse 2 Blessed are the meek and humble God will freely give them all things Blessed are the ones who are hungry And thirst for justice and wait on their King

Chorus We are the salt of the earth We’re going to shake, shake, shake like a salt-shaker We are the light of the world We’re going to shine, shine, shine ‘til the night’s no more We’re going to shine, shine, shine ‘til the night’s no more

Verse 3 Blessed are the merciful Whose sins are forgiven and so they can forgive Blessed are the pure in heart God will show His face to them

Verse 4 Blessed are the ones who make peace Loving others with the Savior’s love Blessed are those bullied for their faith Great in God’s kingdom will be their reward

Copyright © 2013 Matt Mason/Mandi Mapes/Brook Hills Music, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

In preparing for today, I couldn't get a song out of my head.  The lyrics that were going through my mind were: "everybody needs compassion".

As I had read the Scripture in preparation to preach and had studied, I kept coming back to living into this different way of living that Christ modeled and taught and how compassion plays a key role in it.  I looked up the song that was swimming around in my head.

It was a Hillsong United song, "Mighty to Save".  I found the lyrics and shared them in today's message.  They seemed to fit.


Lyrics:

Everyone needs compassion
A love that's never failing
Let mercy fall on me
Everyone needs forgiveness
A kindness of a Savior
The hope of nations
My Savior
He can move the mountains
My God is Mighty to save
He is Mighty to save
Forever
Author of salvation
He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave
So take me as You find me
All my fears and failures
Fill my life again
I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in
Now I surrender
Shine your light and let the whole world see
We're singing for the glory of the risen King...Jesus
--------------------------------------------



Compassion.  Hopefulness. Simplicity.  There were the thoughts that came from today's Scripture and readings, sharing that Jesus calls us to follow as disciples on this discipleship journey.

I am reminded that because God is love, there is a foundation for both compassion and hope.

May the love, light, compassion, and hope of Creator God continue to shine brightly in the dark places so that all people recognize that they are loved.

Blessed are they.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment